What You've Just Bought!

LOL... you better hope your boss is not an audiophile because there is a $$great demand$$ for old JBL's out there!
Well he was a friend before he was a boss for 4 out of the 6 years I was at Lockheed. We met in 2012 because I traded him my entire PA setup for a bunch of electronics. Thing is, he can't work the crap so he never uses it. Unfortunately he sold my Cerwin Vega clones but he said he still has the towers. They're PA speakers so nobody really wants to use them for home audio. He also would probably get a real low offer from like a pawn shop because they have no idea what's in them. I was clever back in the day, I carpeted some Sound Bridge dual 15 and 1" horn towers and stuffed them with JBL goodies. Pair of SRX 15s and horn with a 3 way crossover. The back plate is custom too and there's no branding, so if he tried to sell them the buyer would have to be really knowledgeable to recognize the reddish glue JBL used on their SRX woofer cones. They're kind of ugly looking and beat up from shows so be hard pressed to sell them to a home users too.

My nephew has some EV PA's and they're not very prudy, but they work well for his back yard parties
I used them for over 6 years. My dad liked our smaller TR 225s for regular shows so these towers (in different config back then) stayed in my room. When I got the PA I continued to use them for my computer until I traded the whole lot off. (Pic circa 2011)

Attachments

• 286452_232158770152736_4269100_o.jpg
    286452_232158770152736_4269100_o.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 3
Your using a sound board at home? is that necessary?
That was 10 years ago in my old house. Board and rack were connected to a 16ch snake leading out into the dining room on the other side of the house where all the gear was set up. Had the board and rack connected together which output to the amp then speakers. 2 board sub outs went to my PC for recording raw full band, and my PC sound card output went to ch 15 and 16 for a great mix when I used it. When I wanted to be quieter or not fire up the whole setup I'd use my little JBL 2.1 speakers for PC audio.

My speaker update:
Got them both finished, it was a major pia to wrap the vinyl on them, so it is not perfect. But they are something I can live with. They do sound very good for their size. My floor speakers in the living room go down to 24hz for bass and these only go to 43 hz but they still sound very good. I am truly impressed for the size and cost. Brenda liked these so much she wants a pair for her sewing room. It is opposite of our living room wall and the living room Harmon Kardon AVR 520 does have a multi-room option. I did not have the Zone II remote so I got one on Ebay, it is supposed to be here today. With that I can run an IR to the receiver from her sewing room. I am very pleased with the audio that these little things put out!
Of course I am using the equalizer that is on the VLC Player from my pc, to the DAC to play tunes. The amp is old, and I did order some Deoxit to clean up the pots, it should arrive here tomorrow.
Completed.jpg
This set up beats the snot of those Logitech Z640's (5.1 set up) that I used for my pc previously

Last edited:
For others interested:
I did not need to cut any wood, I only used some Tite Bond wood glue, a sander and sand paper, a cordless drill, some flat black spray paint and of course a cheap paint brush and a lot of clamps! I would highly recommend two people should you decide to wrap a vinyl covering on these.
Edit: I did solder the crossovers with a pcb board I bought from ebay, I already had some 12 ga. wire to wire the xo's to the speakers and the kit came with some 14ga wire from the amp to the speakers. Even without a pcb board, you'll still need to do some soldering. Parts Express has a guide wire and to connect the cross overs without a pcb board

Last edited:
My speaker update:
Got them both finished, it was a major pia to wrap the vinyl on them, so it is not perfect. But they are something I can live with. They do sound very good for their size. My floor speakers in the living room go down to 24hz for bass and these only go to 43 hz but they still sound very good. I am truly impressed for the size and cost. Brenda liked these so much she wants a pair for her sewing room. It is opposite of our living room wall and the living room Harmon Kardon AVR 520 does have a multi-room option. I did not have the Zone II remote so I got one on Ebay, it is supposed to be here today. With that I can run an IR to the receiver from her sewing room. I am very pleased with the audio that these little things put out!
Of course I am using the equalizer that is on the VLC Player from my pc, to the DAC to play tunes. The amp is old, and I did order some Deoxit to clean up the pots, it should arrive here tomorrow.
View attachment 14184
This set up beats the snot of those Logitech Z640's (5.1 set up) that I used for my pc previously
They look really good, nice work!

Back
Top Bottom