What is your ISP speed?

I dunno.... I am wired on all the desk top pc's and only use wireless for the Mrs. iPad, our cell phone and tv.
If there was an update I was not informed about it and my speed was higher a couple months ago than it was before I did a reboot. I waited for a while on this reboot. Went from 350 before Xmas to 250 today and after a reboot I now have 450? Honestly it does not make a lot of sense to me other than clearing out the cache in the modem and router

I dunno.... I am wired on all the desk top pc's and only use wireless for the Mrs. iPad, our cell phone and tv.
If there was an update I was not informed about it and my speed was higher a couple months ago than it was before I did a reboot. I waited for a while on this reboot. Went from 350 before Xmas to 250 today and after a reboot I now have 450? Honestly it does not make a lot of sense to me other than clearing out the cache in the modem and router
You wouldn't know about an OTA update for ISP gear. They send them out and it does it's thing automatically. It's been a real hard thing to explain to customers in my neighborhood when they complain about their Frontier router "cutting out".

I have my own modem and router. A Surfboard SB8200 modem and an aging Netgear WNDR4500 router. For what Concast charges for rental on their equipment, I can buy my own for less.

Good thing Trump made forced ISP hardware a thing of the past now.
Not quite... AT&T still forces you to use and rent their equipment. My contract with Concast ends in May and I may have to switch to AT&T. I can only get 100Mbps with AT&T. Currently paying $70.00 for the 450Mbps for Concast. I use Ooma telco for phone, and cut the cord for TV. Ooma is $7. a month for phone with extra services like user ID, taxes and voice mail. My antenna gets about 28 channels locally but if I upgrade the antenna and if I install a rotor I could have Detroit channels too. I also pay $20. a month for Philo, which provides all the cable channels I want, like Discovery for dangerous jobs, Gold Rush...ect and The History Channel for Oak Island. There are over 70 cable channels that I can with Philo over the internet leagally. There are other sources for more cable channels for less (like hbo and cinemax), but they require a VPN to your router because the legallity is questionable. My older router is not set up for a VPN service unless I install Tomato on it

AT&T can get away with charging you with rental fees because they are considered a "Telco" and not an ISP. We know full well this is bullshit, but they have the government in their pocket for the most profits

Last edited:
Not quite... AT&T still forces you to use and rent their equipment. My contract with Concast ends in May and I may have to switch to AT&T. I can only get 100Mbps with AT&T. Currently paying $70.00 for the 450Mbps for Concast. I use Ooma telco for phone, and cut the cord for TV. Ooma is $7. a month for phone with extra services like user ID, taxes and voice mail. My antenna gets about 28 channels locally but if I upgrade the antenna and if I install a rotor I could have Detroit channels too. I also pay $20. a month for Philo, which provides all the cable channels I want, like Discovery for dangerous jobs, Gold Rush...ect and The History Channel for Oak Island. There are over 70 cable channels that I can with Philo over the internet leagally. There are other sources for more cable channels for less (like hbo and cinemax), but they require a VPN to your router because the legallity is questionable. My older router is not set up for a VPN service unless I install Tomato on it

AT&T can get away with charging you with rental fees because they are considered a "Telco" and not an ISP. We know full well this is bullshit, but they have the government in their pocket for the most profits
First I'd have to ask, why would you have to switch ayways?

Secondly, that's only half true. AT&T uses 802.1x auth via their hardware. That's why they get away with it. In the case of the admin policy, ISPs can't force you to keep their hardware if you can use your own to catch that rental fee. In the case of AT&T their hardware is actually required for the service to work. There are ways to bypass this but it's complicated and still requires you to have their gear hooked to your network. After looking at all my bills, I was never charged a hardware fee.

Charges vary with different areas of the country.
I would have to switch because my "introductory offer" expires in May and they will stick me for over $100. for the 450 Mbps (this is only for internet service no tv or phone). They will not provide any Vaseline when they do. I can get 100Mbps from AT$T for about $50. ish plus equptment fees with their "introductory offer" They both suk... but it is a choice between a rock and a hard place....I won't mention where they want to put that hard place from either ISP.

Last edited:
Since they are offering 100Mb I'm going to assume it's Gigapower. I've talked with people from all over the country that have matched what I was being billed for an internet only service from when I had Gigapower. Billing for that service should be the same nationwide. Uverse is a different story. The same goes for Frontier in areas offered FTTH, billing matches all serviced areas for fiber service and rental fees taken off (we don't need to use their gear though). Even after introductory pricing my Gigapower 1Gb service was only 105 a month up from 80. 80 was the 12 month offer. That 105 was service only.

Nope... that 100Mbps is over old copper phone lines (their maximum speed). They say they are getting FIOS here soon but AT$T stated that 10 yrs ago too.

Back
Top Bottom