What comes around goes around :: FTP Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yek

T.F's Resident Cool Guy...
Yh, it does, and guess what, its back!

Im having a problem deleting my own files through ftp (permission denied) (sound familiar?). The files are created by Joomla (CMS) and i assume it sets its self as the "author" of the file which would be why i cannot delete it. Since as i am the owner of the webspace however i would like to have control over the file, not joomla!

Who has the highest permissions here? Can't delete in the CMS, can't delete through FTP??

Who can delete it!! arghhhh! :confused:

arghhhh is right! This is a very annoying problem if you don't have root access (even if you do, it's still annoying). Here's what's going on:

You have a restricted user account (lets call it "tkey"). What happens is Joomla is creating files, not through the user "tkey", but through the user "apache", since Joomla is essentially running on Apache web server, the files it creates if it doesn't create them under the user "tkey" will almost always be "apache". Since you are user "tkey", you can't delete files owned by "apache". So it gives you access denied errors whenever you try.

You'll probably have to contact your web host to have them chown (change ownership of) the files to you so you can delete them. Or you could just ask the host to delete the files themselves. Most hosts should be happy to do this for you, and it shouldn't be a problem since they have root access to the server.

Yh, i thought that was the problem, annoying but i suppose it is aimed at the larger websites!

Thanks, ill contact my host.

Try changing the FTP permissions on attributes on SmartFTP. To 644 or 421 if this does not work please come back to me I used to own my hosting company.

Not the permissons, its who owns the file thats the problem. I can mass set permissions in joomla however.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom