Weight loss is hard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of last night I'm going to start working out again. I'm a huge fan of mountain biking, but I'm sick of letting myself get out of shape in the winter. But at the same token, the ONLY form of exercise I can tolerate is biking. Well, when I get home at 5pm, it's too dark to hit up some county parks to go on trails. Riding on the street gets boring to me, especially with ******* drivers roaming about.

I ended up dropping $140 on a stationary 5 speed magnetic resistance stand for my mountain bike. My bike mounts up to it and based on the gear I'm in + the level of resistance I'm in on the stand, I can control what type of road-like resistance I'm feeling.

I tell ya, it's not a bad gig. I rode it last night for almost an hour straight. I just propped the entire setup in front of my monitor and full screened an Oasis concert that was about an hour long and jammed to it as I rode.

Going to set up a system here. I'm not going to change my eating habits AT ALL (****, I ate pizza last night after I worked out and pizza for breakfast today). Going to ride for a minimal of 30 minutes a day, and up to an hour on other days randomly too, based on my schedule and whether or not I can handle it, etc.

Trying to get back in shape so when I go riding in may, I don't die. I'm sick of having to ride until late july to feel like I can handle the more advanced trails out there, just to get lazy come november.

Weighed myself last night and rode for 45 minutes straight, working up a **** of a sweat. Feeling good today, not sore at all. May have to ride for 2 hours today (1 morning 1 night). Besides, I'm snowed in - I got nothing better to do. :p

201.6 lbs
5'11"
According to the Nintendo Wii, I'm in the "overweight" zone but just barely passed the line. Hence why I'm going to see what working out yet not changing eating habits will do.

to slim down, eliminate fat and carbs from your diet, and maximize protein. Run for at least 30 minutes a day. The lack of fat and carbs forces you to use whats already inside and burn it off. Protein helps you keep form burning muscle which of course is bad. Also drink water all day and leading up to meals. water is negative calories because it takes energy to process, and has non in it. drinking before a meal also shrinks your stomach so you fill up faster and wont be as hungry.

Physical activity is a huge factor.

You can stuff your face pretty much if you do a lot of cardio, doesnt really matter what you eat.
Not necessarily. I had that friend when I was in the military, he would eat normal and stick with us during manditory PT three times a week for 2 hrs at a clip and he couldn't loose the weight at all.. and we were Heavy equipment operators and grunt construction workers, so we were very active and lived in a hot environment. That's when i started noticing that he was having a real hard time with it. He could throw his weight around no problem and hold his own when it came to the physical work, but he would fail his yearly PT tests just because of his waist measurement. -He couldn't run a 9m mile and a half to compensate for the points.. Heck, I ran 10:14's at BEST.

Anyway.. he had a heavy drinking problem too, so that was a lot to do with it.. Was just saying that he WAS active and he still had a hard time keeping the weight off. But yes, activity is still a BIG factor.. I usually tell people to run a LOT when they are trying to loose weight, but if you're not used it or not trained, you can hurt yourself before you see any gains. start with a mile and a half run and then step up to a 3 mile run.. -Not that bad once you warm up (during the run)... You get runner's high after a while too.. I seemed to warm up at about 1/2 mile mark and at the 1.5 mile mark..

Not necessarily. I had that friend when I was in the military, he would eat normal and stick with us during manditory PT three times a week for 2 hrs at a clip and he couldn't loose the weight at all.. and we were Heavy equipment operators and grunt construction workers, so we were very active and lived in a hot environment. That's when i started noticing that eh was having a real hard time with it. He could throw his weight around no problem and hold his own when it came to the physical work, but he would fail his yearly PT tests just because of his waist measurement. -He couldn't run a 9m mile and a half to compensate for the points.. Heck, I ran 10:14's at BEST.

Anyway.. he had a heavy drinking problem too, so that was a lot to do with it.. Was just saying that he WAS active and he still had a hard time keeping the weight off.

Your friend sounds exactly like me. Running is APITA for me, and the waste has always been a challenge. We can't eat like most people.

to slim down, eliminate fat and carbs from your diet, and maximize protein.
Low carb works, but it is not something you can keep up forever. Reducing them, however, is a great option. With WeightWatchers, we really watch the fat content. Carbs are not a big deal as it looks at the overall calories. Fiber is good, though. ;)

I did lose a lot of weight doing low carb (Atkin's), but I gained it all back after I went off of it.

Your friend sounds exactly like me. Running is APITA for me, and the waste has always been a challenge. We can't eat like most people.

I edited the post, as I typically do for about 5 min after I post it to examine for typos.. :lol:

Anyway, I really felt bad for him.. The upper echelon would harass him so bad because he was big. They ended up getting him medically discharged because he couldn't loose the weight. He kept failing PT tests. I thought we were good friends, or decent at least, but he just stopped talking to me in the early part of 2008. He was a good guy.. He's back in Mississippi now. He wanted to get out anyway. If I was in his spot I would have wanted out too..

Low carb works, but it is not something you can keep up forever. Reducing them, however, is a great option. With WeightWatchers, we really watch the fat content. Carbs are not a big deal as it looks at the overall calories. Fiber is good, though. ;)

I did lose a lot of weight doing low carb (Atkin's), but I gained it all back after I went off of it.

I'll agree that carbs are secondary, but every bit helps. salads and wraps are a good staple. Also soda is a no no, any kind. It makes you retain water.

Man... running... gag me. I don't know what it is, but I cannot run long distance to save my life. It's not that I "can't", but I just find it so braindead boring I'd rather be on the couch for life.

HOWEVER... I can bike for 80 miles with a smile on my face.

Weird, huh?

Man... running... gag me. I don't know what it is, but I cannot run long distance to save my life. It's not that I "can't", but I just find it so braindead boring I'd rather be on the couch for life.

HOWEVER... I can bike for 80 miles with a smile on my face.

Weird, huh?

welcome to the club brother. My buddy runs so he can think, my response is, how do you think with all that pain?

Not necessarily. I had that friend when I was in the military, he would eat normal and stick with us during manditory PT three times a week for 2 hrs at a clip and he couldn't loose the weight at all.. and we were Heavy equipment operators and grunt construction workers, so we were very active and lived in a hot environment. That's when i started noticing that he was having a real hard time with it. He could throw his weight around no problem and hold his own when it came to the physical work, but he would fail his yearly PT tests just because of his waist measurement. -He couldn't run a 9m mile and a half to compensate for the points.. Heck, I ran 10:14's at BEST.

Anyway.. he had a heavy drinking problem too, so that was a lot to do with it.. Was just saying that he WAS active and he still had a hard time keeping the weight off. But yes, activity is still a BIG factor.. I usually tell people to run a LOT when they are trying to loose weight, but if you're not used it or not trained, you can hurt yourself before you see any gains. start with a mile and a half run and then step up to a 3 mile run.. -Not that bad once you warm up (during the run)... You get runner's high after a while too.. I seemed to warm up at about 1/2 mile mark and at the 1.5 mile mark..

Well, when i was in infantry school i ate what i wanted, did pt everyday and lost 40 pounds.

Most ive ran is about 5.5 miles....no way i can do that now but it was a batallion run.

For my pt test i have to run 8 minute miles just to pass, 2 miles in 16:36.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom