VPS vs. Dedicated host

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanLedet

In Runtime
For the past few years I have been a happy 1and1 customer. I know most people can't stand companies like 1and1 or GoDaddy etc...but I've never had any problems and i like what I know....but I am open to suggestions...

On to my real question...1and1 recently started a VPS service. I only have a few web sites that I host and maintain, so their smaller package would do the job for me.

It includes the following:
  • Full Root Access
  • Fedora Core 4 Linux
  • Plesk 30 license
  • 10 GB hard drive space (enough for me)
  • 500 GB traffic
  • 100 MBit Connection
  • Virtuozzo Power Panel
  • 500 e-mail accounts

All this is package 1 at $29/mo

switching to this VPS would save me a lot of money.

What's the benefit of a VPS versus a dedicated hosting service?

I'd also like to hear from other web designers who host and maintain web sites. Where do you host them and do you have a VPS or dedicated server?

Thanks!

Hello,

I know you said you like 1&1, but I must still stress how poor their customer service is ruputed!!
But if you have no problems then thats fine! If it will save you money then you should go for it as long as 1&1 can transfr your existing packages to it!

I use H9 - they offer fab packages and fab uptime! I use their shared hosting package!

VPS is a starter system before (if your a hosting company or very large site) going to dedicated server. Its basically a server shares but provides root access ect.

Thanks for the H9 link. I'm checking out the Reseller package which starts at $19.99...saves me even more money :D

I've never dealt with "reseller packages"..but what I'm looking at is essentially the same thing as the 1and1 VPS, right? Client comes to me and says "hey I need hosting" and I set the space, the e-mails, the domain, etc...and I can keep all of my clients together? right now I have to jump from account to account in order to make changes. PITA

Hello,

VPS and Reseller hosting is slightly different but if you want to run a small webhosting company then the H9 reseller package will be sufficient!!

They even include free billing software for billing your clients.

Tony

A lot of small and starting web hosts have the option between a shared reselling account, a virtual private server, or an entry level dedicated server (or colocation). I would personally recommend sticking with the VPS solution for as long as you possibly can. People don't realize that typical VPS nodes have extremely high end hardware, and often, when you compare a VPS to a low end dedicated server (within the same price range), the VPS will totally smoke the dedicated- with the biggest performance difference being in disk read/write speed (due to raid, which most entry level servers lack). Where VPS's lack is generally CPU power (RAM, disk, etc... can all be upgraded, but often you are only allocated an equal portion of the CPU).

One thing that's lacking in your VPS specs is guaranteed RAM, which is extremely important when deciding what VPS package you want. You should look into how much ram is guaranteed, and how much you can burst to. You should also look into the minumum CPU. If they tell you "equal share", ask them how fast their processor(s) are/is on the node you will be on, and ask how many other VPS accounts are on that node with you. Then do the math (cpu speed / number of accounts = your cpu, estimated). If you are running a control panel, you will probably want at least 128MB ram (I suggest 256MB to run smoothly without any QoS alerts).

Definately look into KnownHost.com before you go with 1and1. They have a much better VPS reputation, and their support is unbeatable. VPS packages start at $20/month, and you can choose between Texas or California.

Virtual Private Server Hosting - VPS Hosting with cPanel, VPS Hosting with Plesk, VPS Hosting with Directadmin, No setup fees :: KnownHost LLC

I recommend Texas, as they offer premium bandwidth and the facilities are much nicer (Colo4Dallas).

Very good points Kubel, I personally vouch for rapidvps. I have a rapid.three and rapid.one package from there. Rick (the owner) has an amazing setup, I think the plans are unbeatable. With them, you get a dedicated portion of the processor, also, rather than equal share. Their best servers are Dual Opteron 2212's with SCSI raid (in which my rapid.three is hosted on) which absolutely fly. Operating systems on your VPS(s) can be changed and/or reinstalled instantly (which is absent on most dedicated solutions).

Your VPS environment can also be integrated into a dedicated node when needed, without loosing the advantages of having a VPS. (uses the same VPS technology, your VPS would just be the only one on the node.)

Rick is currently rebuilding the site to be bigger and better with an easier account management control panel. I've had an absolute 100% uptime with every support request being answered within an hour. (weekends also)

Hope this helps. :)

"Equal Share" is dedicated, but it just means that your chunk of dedicated is equal to everyone else on the node. So if I had dual 3000MHz processors, and there were 10 VPS accounts on the node, that would mean each user would have about 2x 300MHz dedicated to their account. If I decided to squeeze another user into the node, each user would get about 2x 272MHz.

RapidVPS has different packages with varying dedicated CPU. That's nice that they do that.

Anyway, I would also recommend RapidVPS. They are on the list of very good VPS providers (lots of positive reviews).

GREAT info guys I really appreciate the information given.

I really like the billing software that Host9 provides. and I really like KnownHost and RapidVPS....you're giving me a headache trying to make a decision :D

Now, How do I ensure that these VPS's are secured? Do the providers have it secured? Or do I need to provide security myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom