Update to New IT job. Where do I start. Week 2.

Is there any material anyone suggests for studying for the MS MTA cert? I don't have too much experience to just go out and take the exam. I figured it'd be a good first step in adding to my credentials.

I guess this is one of those be careful where you tread things.

I've heard that one guys "broad understanding" is another guys "uncommitted or scatter gun" approach.

I'm not saying don't study, don't improve or don't certify...

what I'm saying is, think about where you want to be and how you are going to get there.

(that said I'm happily gather and eating cake in terms of doing all of it, but then I'm employed in a place where that is possible, if I were looking for a job, I'd certainly be pushing one skill set over another and tailoring CVs to applications to highlight most what I have rather than saying I've got everything and surely at least some of that is what you want!)

I guess this is one of those be careful where you tread things.

I've heard that one guys "broad understanding" is another guys "uncommitted or scatter gun" approach.

I'm not saying don't study, don't improve or don't certify...

what I'm saying is, think about where you want to be and how you are going to get there.

(that said I'm happily gather and eating cake in terms of doing all of it, but then I'm employed in a place where that is possible, if I were looking for a job, I'd certainly be pushing one skill set over another and tailoring CVs to applications to highlight most what I have rather than saying I've got everything and surely at least some of that is what you want!)

I agree.

I do have a board understanding of all aspects of IT world, but prefer to work in infrastructure/ server side maintainance.

Having a board understanding helps, as I can tie everything together and quickly identify where action needs to be taken, weather its upgrades, fixes, maintainace etc...

If you want to boost your resume then the MTA is a waste of time, in my opinion. The MTAs are intended for students to get them started on certification - they are not professional level certs and I don't think that they will do anything for anyone who is already working in IT. I say this as someone who holds multiple MTAs.

The material is good to know, especially if you need a more basic introduction to the concepts, but I wouldn't spend any money on it. I know that Certiport sells MTA study guides; I don't know of any free resources.

If you're leaning towards networking then I would check out some Network+ study materials just to learn more about it and to see how interested you are. I think Professor Messer should have some free videos on it up on youtube, but there's a lot of free material out there.

This is good advice. Ideally you'd know exactly what you want to get into (or at least have a good idea) so that you can plan accordingly. It's fine if you're still exploring your options, but that's the point that you want to reach.

Has anyone worked it the help desk area? I'm applying to other jobs right now... lets just say I've completely stopped doing anything related to IT and am pretty much fed up with it. It's ridiculous. I know experience is key in IT and I'm not getting any younger. The good thing is that my in box has been blowing up since this morning regarding my applications I sent over the weekend.

I'm wondering what the job is like. Do you have to know how to fix any problem that comes across the desk? And what if I don't know how to fix it?

And about how long should someone in the help desk position stay before considering moving on?

I'm wondering what the job is like. Do you have to know how to fix any problem that comes across the desk? And what if I don't know how to fix it?

Depends on the place. Sometimes it's more about quotas and call metrics than it is about actually solving problems. In any case, if you can't fix it then you escalate to the next tier of support.

And about how long should someone in the help desk position stay before considering moving on?

You should move on once you a) find something better or b) aren't able to grow or learn any further in that job. I personally prefer to have at least a year for any job that I work because I think it makes me look more solid, but if something better comes along I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Depends on the place. Sometimes it's more about quotas and call metrics than it is about actually solving problems. In any case, if you can't fix it then you escalate to the next tier of support.

You should move on once you a) find something better or b) aren't able to grow or learn any further in that job. I personally prefer to have at least a year for any job that I work because I think it makes me look more solid, but if something better comes along I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the advice. I'm conducting interviews right now so it's nice to have more questions I haven't thought about or considered.

good news. I've got a new job and I'm actually doing IT related stuff. Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but I had a 60 day review at my old job and they essentially told me they wouldn't be able to continue employing me strictly for an IT role which is odd since that's what the job was advertised as. Instead, I'd be doing other things; pretty much whatever they needed. I thought if this is what it's going to be I'm wasting my time. I figured experience is everything in IT and if I need it to be successful it's not worth staying. I applied to a whole bunch of real IT support/helpdesk positions on a Saturday. Monday morning came around and I couldn't stop my phone from ringing for interviews. The short story is I was offered a job and accepted it in less than a week, it was that Friday actually. On the next Monday, I offered to my boss to stay for two weeks if he needed me, but asked if I could leave my old job that day. It was kinda pointless to stay around since any work I'd be doing required someone to train me; wasting their time in the end. I left that job around noon and asked my new boss if I could start early, even though we agreed I'd start two weeks later. He agreed and so I quit/started work on the same day. It was a pretty good decision in the end: I learned more in the first three days than the last three months. The pay is better, it's a short 10 minute drive, and I'm actually learning a lot; I'm doing more than just help desk stuff. I have hands-on repairing computers, servers, and configuring online storage devices so far. I actually enjoy when Monday comes around. I was honest with everyone with whom I interviewed. I told them I had very little experience so I'm not promising on anything I can't deliver. However, I told them I'm committed to learning and whether they decide to take me or not, I'm going to continue studying on my own. The great part is that everyone at work is helpful and don't mind me asking questions, even if they're simple ones. They liked the fact that I had little experience. They looked at it as me not having any bad habits and they can teach me how to do things on their own terms and in the right way. So, I suppose I'll stick with the IT field. It's been good to me so far. I feel like I've gotten a foot in the door with the previous job. Although it was crap, it did help me get to where I am now; I didn't have to lie on a resume about having IT experience. Now I feel I have my foot and a little bit of an arm and a leg in the door.

good news. I've got a new job and I'm actually doing IT related stuff. Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but I had a 60 day review at my old job and they essentially told me they wouldn't be able to continue employing me strictly for an IT role which is odd since that's what the job was advertised as. Instead, I'd be doing other things; pretty much whatever they needed. I thought if this is what it's going to be I'm wasting my time. I figured experience is everything in IT and if I need it to be successful it's not worth staying. I applied to a whole bunch of real IT support/helpdesk positions on a Saturday. Monday morning came around and I couldn't stop my phone from ringing for interviews. The short story is I was offered a job and accepted it in less than a week, it was that Friday actually. On the next Monday, I offered to my boss to stay for two weeks if he needed me, but asked if I could leave my old job that day. It was kinda pointless to stay around since any work I'd be doing required someone to train me; wasting their time in the end. I left that job around noon and asked my new boss if I could start early, even though we agreed I'd start two weeks later. He agreed and so I quit/started work on the same day. It was a pretty good decision in the end: I learned more in the first three days than the last three months. The pay is better, it's a short 10 minute drive, and I'm actually learning a lot; I'm doing more than just help desk stuff. I have hands-on repairing computers, servers, and configuring online storage devices so far. I actually enjoy when Monday comes around. I was honest with everyone with whom I interviewed. I told them I had very little experience so I'm not promising on anything I can't deliver. However, I told them I'm committed to learning and whether they decide to take me or not, I'm going to continue studying on my own. The great part is that everyone at work is helpful and don't mind me asking questions, even if they're simple ones. They liked the fact that I had little experience. They looked at it as me not having any bad habits and they can teach me how to do things on their own terms and in the right way. So, I suppose I'll stick with the IT field. It's been good to me so far. I feel like I've gotten a foot in the door with the previous job. Although it was crap, it did help me get to where I am now; I didn't have to lie on a resume about having IT experience. Now I feel I have my foot and a little bit of an arm and a leg in the door.

Wow man sounds like things are going great! Keep up the good work!

Good job Mehmin!! you done the right thing and sounds like you are confident in progressing and telling the employer what you want from the job.

Good stuff :cool:

Back
Top Bottom