Update to New IT job. Where do I start. Week 2.

mehmin

Baseband Member
New IT job. Where do I start update!!

week 2 is starting pretty well. I'm Already getting into what I think I want to do in my IT career with networking.

As of now, I'm creating an excel with all the towers'/printers' IPs and MACs. The boss wants more characteristics listed such as the host name, make/model, serial numbers, current OS, MS office product keys etc etc...

Our in-house SQL writer will then transfer the info to his database so we'll have all the info in one easily accessible place for reference.

Next step: (at least what I think I need to do) is build a network topology/office map of which computers are where.

Problem: I'm assuming I have to identify the ethernet ports... how do I do this????? (do ports have IPs? I'm thinking not, but they must have some numbering system)
-I'd like to build something along the lines of a cisco net diagram or packet tracer-like thing. I'll be self-studying but not sure where to start.

For a computer with a single NIC, you would just identify it by IP. In fact, you wouldn't distinguish between the computer and the network interface.

For network devices and servers with multiple interfaces, each port would be identified by interface name. For example, FastEthernet 0/1, GigabitEthernet4/15, etc. Interfaces may or may not be assigned IPs, depending on a variety of factors. You would typically need to log into the device to see the interface names.

Next step: (at least what I think I need to do) is build a network topology/office map of which computers are where.

I used to install high end security systems. I always found that a sharpie and wire tags that have the tabs you can write on to be the biggest help. Not only do you know what is on both ends of a given wire, but you can map out on a floor plan where every thing is. (Need one that is current in your case.) My clients used to be amazed I knew where everything was and could go right to it. I kept a copy in the main panel and one at my office.

Might give that some consideration. Or just some simple wire tags that just wrap around the wire.

Your wasting a lot of time doing it the way you are, but I guess you learn how to use CMDs and understand how networks work.. :cool:

Gotta learn how to do it the hard way first, and then after you understand how it works, then you can use tool to make things easier / automate stuff for you ;). Applies to many areas of technology - that's also how we were taught programming in my CS degree.

We have a Fluke OptiView XG Network Analysis Tablet that tells us everything about the network. It's a very expensive device but it tells you exactly which network switch it is connected to and what port on the switch it's connected to. Very useful, but expensive.

For a computer with a single NIC, you would just identify it by IP. In fact, you wouldn't distinguish between the computer and the network interface.

For network devices and servers with multiple interfaces, each port would be identified by interface name. For example, FastEthernet 0/1, GigabitEthernet4/15, etc. Interfaces may or may not be assigned IPs, depending on a variety of factors. You would typically need to log into the device to see the interface names.

No need to manually make a excel sheet, just use spiceworks Network inventory (install on a GS) Free Network Inventory & PC Software Inventory Tool from Spiceworks

Your wasting a lot of time doing it the way you are, but I guess you learn how to use CMDs and understand how networks work.. :cool:

Gotta learn how to do it the hard way first, and then after you understand how it works, then you can use tool to make things easier / automate stuff for you ;). Applies to many areas of technology - that's also how we were taught programming in my CS degree.

We have a Fluke OptiView XG Network Analysis Tablet that tells us everything about the network. It's a very expensive device but it tells you exactly which network switch it is connected to and what port on the switch it's connected to. Very useful, but expensive.

Thank you everyone for all the ideas. Not to be on the fence, but I agree with both sides; what I'm doing IS long (plus, I have to essentially wait until everyone is gone for the day to get their work stations all to myself... I suppose the extra cash helps) but I DO really enjoy learning about CMD inputs, I think it's essential.

Today I have two issues;
1). I think I found something called netstat command to find out which ethernet port my computer is hooked up to on the switch/server. (by the way, my station is hooked up to a netgear 5 port switch... how would I represent this on a topology map???)

Am I on the right track? And must I run that command from the server's interface itself or can I remote access it from my cubicle (although I should learn how to do it from the server if it's the case I suppose.)

2). I want to re-create my business' network on packet tracer just to screw around while I'm at home. But I can't configure the computers' IPs because it says it's not a valid IP address (246.238... something or other). I think this may have to do with the IPs being dynamic at work and therefore can't put them in the static IPv4 on packet tracer. However, when I plug in nbtstat -a it lists all of our IPs as static.

My boss was thinking that although they're listed as static, they're actually being designated in the dynamic pool of addresses. I don't know.

Today I have two issues;
1). I think I found something called netstat command to find out which ethernet port my computer is hooked up to on the switch/server. (by the way, my station is hooked up to a netgear 5 port switch... how would I represent this on a topology map???)

Am I on the right track? And must I run that command from the server's interface itself or can I remote access it from my cubicle (although I should learn how to do it from the server if it's the case I suppose.)
Netstat shows open virtual ports within the firewall, this is not to be mistaken with PC/floor/switch ports.. It a good idea for you to learn netstat to get a understanding.

Best way to list switch ports is to label them.. or if your switch has a management interface you can see the MAC address of the devices..

Also if it does have a management interface, you can use a network inventory (like spiceworks inventory) that can extract that data so it can be viewed on a web interface so you wont need to go to the switch each time.

:Cool:

Last edited:
if your switch has a management interface you can see the MAC address of the devices..

So is there a CMD input that will show me the port on the switch/server the device is plugged into? The thing is, I don't think the guy who did the setup labeled anything at all. I'm going into it blind.

So is there a CMD input that will show me the port on the switch/server the device is plugged into? The thing is, I don't think the guy who did the setup labeled anything at all. I'm going into it blind.

What Switches do you use?

In the meantime, you can get a LAN cable tester to see where each cable goes.

Back
Top Bottom