Update to New IT job. Where do I start. Week 2.

try typing "show mac-address-table"

what specific problem are you hoping to solve with Cisco gear that you're unable to do with the netgear switches?

I figured when it comes time to move on to another job, having knowledge of cisco gear is going to be useful since it's everywhere.....

Perhaps it's not really a problem, but I'm still dead set on learning the process to match up ports to host MAC addresses. For example, something that will show me MAC address xxx is on port fa 0/x

try typing "show mac-address-table"

sometimes on different device there is auto complete, so start by typing sh, then hit either the tab key or the question mark key, and seeing if it brings up a list of "possible commands"

nothing came up. I'm on the windows server CLI right now, not in the switch yet. I suppose I didn't specify that part. Is there something I have to put in to get into the interface for the switch?

try hitting question mark and see if it brings up a list of available commands.

it's possible that you need to be in an elevated privilege mode before you can look at that stuff (for example, unless you're already a high privilege user on Cisco stuff you'll type enable to see a lot of stuff, or be able to edit anything.)

sho mac address table should show the whole thing (I searched for a netgear manual to find that command, so (you said that you had a manual) you should be able to find the enable command. - or equivalent. (the manual I had I could only see a few reference pages as it was on a selling site.

nothing came up. I'm on the windows server CLI right now, not in the switch yet. I suppose I didn't specify that part. Is there something I have to put in to get into the interface for the switch?

If you're just in Command Prompt on WIndows...that's your problem. You'd either have to use a dedicated tool (if there is one), or use an SSH client (most likely) to 'remote into' the switch (or possibly log into a web UI?). You'll need to read your switch's manual to see how to get into the interface to run commands against it.

sounds like my first job, started with little experience and was expected to do everything from setting up test machines, configuring servers, creating web pages, providing support for products, building machines, installing cables, hanging pictures, watering plants etc...

assuming that you have a boss that is able and willing to teach you, stay until you either stop learning, or circumstances dictate that you have to move, (e.g external factors that are a part of life, (you want to live somewhere else, you need to work different hours etc)...
but realize that if you're reporting to the CEO today. then you will be tomorrow, there is no promotions available where you are, because you;re already defacto top of the small IT department. (that can get a little frustrating having nothing to work towards...)

The thing is, it's really slow here and most of the jobs aren't too closely related to IT. A few weeks ago I even replaced some toiled paper dispensers before some top brass came for a visit. I appreciate the opportunity to get into the business but in the mean time I think I'll pursue some certifications. I'm thinking the MTA/MCSA route and NET+ and cisco tracks as well. A friend has a lot of CBTnuggets material he's willing to let me borrow.

Any thoughts/preferences anyone else thinks I should consider pursuing?

Sounds wrong to me, If I was you, I'd brainstorm what IT I have learnt there so far, then try and learn and read up on abit more 1st line IT related troubleshooting and solutions then start applying for a new IT job.

They seem to be using you for crap when they fully know you want to be working purely in IT helpdesk/ support, NOT Office admin, PA, cleaner...

Don't waste your time there, think about what you know now and can provide another company and get some interviews, then youll be confident at knowing you abilities in an interview, plus you can tell them what you want to progress in.

I'm most certainly satisfied that I'm more a network/computer security guy opposed to a Network Administrator after reading this post. Glade I'm going into programming... :cool:

Any thoughts/preferences anyone else thinks I should consider pursuing?

Do you know what you want to get into? The best thing to pursue is whatever interests you the most. I mean, programming is great to get into, but a lot of people just don't want to sling code all day. I certainly don't want to run servers for a living (I do, to a certain degree, but at least it's only a small part of my job). You can make a good living in pretty much any kind of career track you want to get into (maybe not desktop support), so it's really just a matter of finding what you want to do.

Do you know what you want to get into? The best thing to pursue is whatever interests you the most. I mean, programming is great to get into, but a lot of people just don't want to sling code all day. I certainly don't want to run servers for a living (I do, to a certain degree, but at least it's only a small part of my job). You can make a good living in pretty much any kind of career track you want to get into (maybe not desktop support), so it's really just a matter of finding what you want to do.

I'm leaning towards doing stuff with networking... I suppose that's kinda vague, but again I'm new to IT and most likely don't know all there is to what networking entails. But sitting down and learning about IPs and teaching myself subnetting was really cool to me. Programming seems interesting strictly for little home made projects with arduino or raspberry pi. As a profession, I don't think I'd be good at it. My college logic course was difficult enough.

Although the security field seems to have the big bucks but isn't an interest (at least not yet). I'll have to see where it takes me while keeping in mind what I liked from each project I do or with whichever job I'm at and fine tune it when I move along to something else.

Back
Top Bottom