Update to New IT job. Where do I start. Week 2.

It's been a while since I've last been here. Things are still going well at my new job. However, it's like drinking from a fire hose. I take notes on my personal computer on how to fix new problems. I'm always learning but it seems like a big challenge.

I'm expected to close out 10 tickets a day as help desk which I think is a big number. The boss wants to know what they can do to help. However, I don't know what more I can do aside from learning more about computers. Like I've mentioned before; I'm new to IT and don't have a background so I learn when I come across new problems. I feel the expectations shouldn't be so high. Am I wrong regarding this? What can I do learn more?
I feel bad because even though I was completely honest during the interview: that I don't know much and I will understand if they feel they cant' take me on as part of the team, I really want and need this job. I've been working really hard to pay attention and my desk is covered in sticky-notes of mistakes to not make twice. I guess what I'm looking for is how people come to know so much about computers and how to fix/diagnose problems.

I guess what I'm looking for is how people come to know so much about computers and how to fix/diagnose problems.

Experience, that's really it. All the book reading or training in the world won't prepare you for all the impossible ways in which things will break. Document everything - I would build a personal knowledge base instead of having sticky notes everywhere - don't be afraid to ask for help from your team, escalate as needed, and try to make the user happy with the interaction.

Visiting online tech support forums can expose you to some new problems that you may not have seen before, but your most common issues will always be the ones that your users call you about.

Don't worry too much about it, nobody expects you to be a pro this early in your career.

I appreciate the insight. I'm just eager to soak up knowledge. It's pretty interesting and I actually enjoy work. Even on the crappy days sometimes. As long as I'm learning. But it can be frustrating when I wish I could magically gain experience. Thanks for the help.

Experience, that's really it. All the book reading or training in the world won't prepare you for all the impossible ways in which things will break. Document everything - I would build a personal knowledge base instead of having sticky notes everywhere - don't be afraid to ask for help from your team, escalate as needed, and try to make the user happy with the interaction.

Visiting online tech support forums can expose you to some new problems that you may not have seen before, but your most common issues will always be the ones that your users call you about.

Don't worry too much about it, nobody expects you to be a pro this early in your career.

+1

Hit the nail right on the head. It's all just experience and repetition. Once you've fixed broken Windows Updates 50 times, you won't easily forget how to fix it. Same with anything else in IT. There are still things that come up in my job that I don't know. You'll never stop learning in IT and you'll never know it all.

There's no magic experience. It's just doing it. Rely on the rest of your team for help when you're stuck. If you're too proud to do that, you're in the wrong field. There is no "me" in IT. When you encounter something that even a seasoned veteran is like, "I've never seen that before," those are the things you want to document and write down. Those are the good to know things. If it's more on the common side, you'll memorize it before too long.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom