two close calls!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes Crysalis!!! for a kid! you were like, "yayyyyyyyy, I'm alive!" And Zooooooooom off into the sunset. Meanwhile, said car owner to this day is at family barbeques still telling the story of when some little brat slammed into his honda civic and caused $2,000 damage!
;)

Eagleboy said:
On the cyclist's behalf - the shoulder is not the place for bikes. Potholes, gravel, branches and other plantlife, and lots of roadkill litter the shoulder, making it unbelievably unsafe for the skinny 1/2" tires.
agreed. I ride a roadbike myself, and I really hate the shoulder. it's always rough there - and on my bike, you really feel it. it's designed to be lightweight and has no suspension. plus, it's not good on the thin tyres, which sometimes get punctures there.

However, the cyclist should make it a point to ride close to the white line if the shoulder is unsafe. I only ride the center of the roadway if I'm going in excess of 35mph+, simply to minimize my chances of running into a pothole that I can't see in time.
I think more roads should have a cyclist lane in them. I know that bike riders can be annoying to cars, because I do drive sometimes. however, there's not a lot of margin for error. the shoulder is not good for bikes like mine, but then there are also the car drivers. it's much easier on the roads when there's a designated cyclist lane.

Anybody that is riding 3-5mph can be passed fairly easily though... I'd just wait for an opening to pass then then gun it around them. If there is no opening, a polite honk should alert the rider to get back to the shoulder. Read: Polite honk. Riders don't like a squealing horn coming out of nowhere... It is a very difficult situation, though - I hate passing riders on the road myself, even though I am one.
exactly. that's one thing I really hate. I'm riding on the road, minding my own business, and then all of a suddern there's a big *BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP* from behind me.
I'll move if I know a car is trying to pass me, but some people are so rude...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom