"Techies" on the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
brady said:
Hypothetical situation is as follows:

You are looking for information on fixing a particular problem with something you know nothing about... Whatever it may be.

Now lets say you decide to visit a forum for this particular thing.

Ok, so now you post your problem in the forum and await an answer. I would feel MUCH better about the information if it was coming from a forum REGULAR who obviously had been there for quite some time as apposed to a new person there that has maybe 200 posts or something...

Remember, the people that USUALLY ask about things around here DON'T know 2 cents about most of the stuff we talk about. Yes, I know there are others who do have a basic understanding of computers or whatever, but those are a little more rare.

So, my point being that WE (as techies ourselves) know that a person with a 200 post count could possibly know MORE info than a person with a 6,000 post count, but for the people that are looking for answers, it is human nature to look for status...

Yes, I totally 100% agree with that but it brings me back to aspire.comptech original post.

just how i see things is that no computer noob should take advice from anyone with fewer than 500 posts on the forums. Otherwise **** happens.

I was saying that, that statement was not just.
He said **** happens when taking advise from people with fewer than 500 posts, not, that people feel
'much better about the information if it was coming from a forum REGULAR ' which your post stated.

His post clearly says bad things will happen when taking advise from new forums members.

Jam3s-Zer0 said:
How is that statement incorrect?

You misunderstood me... I was agreeing with you, and disagreeing with the statement you quoted... Meaning, I do not think bad stuff would happen if you take the advise of a new poster...

brady said:
You misunderstood me...

Yes I did, sorry, I misunderstood because I thought when you quoted me and highlighted part of it, I thought you meant that was incorrect.

I agree to the human nature on status. Ok lets say Nubius has his Bagillion posts and say Trotter has 10 and wasnt a mod. I come in and post a thread and im a complete n00b at computers. If Nubius gave me and answer and Trotter would i would naturaly listen to the one w/ more posts. Thats all this "post count" business is about. By nature most of the time you would listen to the guy who has been around longer unless you JUST know that what they are saying is wrong. My $0.02. And to the bios format, if i would have been online i would have explained it myself. Ive worked w/ 2 motherboards that support Super Socket 7 and have LL Formats in the bios. The boards are so cheap though its very nice to have it in the bios cause w/out it i wouldnt have been able to boot anything.

gaara said:
That's a load of crap...there isn't anyone here, myself included, who I would consider qualified except for maybe two people who I can think of off the top of my head, and even then, those two people are specialized in regards to their qualifications

Knowing that X is faster than Y is not attributed to a very high level of thinking, ask people WHY X is faster than Y and most can't tell you apart from perhaps at most a very vague description. And this only applies to hardware considering that is what most people here who considered themselves "specialized" in

when someone wants to buy a computer, they want to know whether X or Y is fastest, i doubt they really care as to WHY X is faster than Y. knowing why X is faster than Y is often irrelevant... because in the end they depend on benchmarks just as much as the next noob... because all the technical information can mean squat in the end..

if i was really good at giving hardware parts advice, i'm really good at budgeting, but i don't know how to format, does that mean my advice is no longer good?!

Easiest way to format.....place a high powered magnet on top of the hard disk and reinstall windows.

It's worked for me every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom