"Techies" on the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
PP beat me to it. Yes, a format is sometimes offerend in the bios. As a matter of fact, some foreign boards still have this option, although most times I've seen it, it says debug... same thing, though. So, yes you can do a format in the bios, and there are STILL some boards being made today for this, most for business use though.

There's one guy (no names mentioned) for instance, who doles out all sorts of advice on hardware, but doesn't know how and where to format a HDD.

quote:Maybe in the BIOS somewhere?

Actually, that is OLD SCHOOL tech as motherboard that were Pentium II Slot 1 and earlier did comes with a Low Level Format harddrive feature.
Last time I had very used it was about 10 years ago.
And the only way I knew about it was that they were teaching me that in collage.

I have not seen a new motherbard bios in the last 7 years that still have this feature. And at the end of the days, there is a lot simpler and straight forward methods.
- Boot disk with FORMAT.EXE and FDISK.EXEon it
- Windows --> Right Click Hard Drive --> Format
- Windows Xp --> Star Menu --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Adminstrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management
- Partition Magic
And the list goes on

Originally posted by Harper

Actually, that is OLD SCHOOL tech as motherboard that were Pentium II Slot 1 and earlier did comes with a Low Level Format harddrive feature.
Last time I had very used it was about 10 years ago.
And the only way I knew about it was that they were teaching me that in collage.

Fair enough, I concede that a reformat from the BIOS is possible, but that's a bit off-topic. The point is, that most of the kids on TF who hand out this advice, aren't old enough to even remember Pentium 1s, so the point is moot. I wouldn't classify myself as an expert, and I suppose we all start to learn somewhere, but one would think that if you consider yourself clued-up enough to recommend PC hardware to someone, you'd have bothered to learn a few basic things about computing first.

But I suppose Aliasaid makes a valid point by saying you don't need to know everything about PCs to give an opinion about hardware - even if it's based on someone else's view of said hardware.

So what some of you guys are saying is, Ill take myself for example. i dont know everything about computers, nor does anyone but we are always learning. But im a systems administrator that over sees 500+ desktops and 300+ laptops, 5 Domain controllers, 4000+ accounts in active directory, ETC. And someone shouldnt take my advice cuz i have under 500 posts lol ??? why because i didnt know the forum was around in 2000. And that some 12 yo with 5000 posts of saying AMD is better then intel and nvidia rocks ATI, is more quilified to answer a question then me ? lol that makes no sense. just putting in a little perspective about post counts. its a stupid number.

And Thanks P.P. cuz even tho he didnt get to answer the bios formating he knew it and he still brought up something half of us didnt know. so thanks for teachin me something new, which is what alot of ppl in the tech world lose sight of, learning instead of thinking they know everything.

Im not saying they WOULDNT take your advice, im just saying that the person in question would MOST LIKELY not take your advice instead of the higher poster because they are a n00b to the forum. Most of the time around here though anybody usualy takes anybodies advice if they feel the person knows what they are talking about. And your welcome. And i love to learn! :D

King X13 said:
So what some of you guys are saying is, Ill take myself for example. i dont know everything about computers, nor does anyone but we are always learning. But im a systems administrator that over sees 500+ desktops and 300+ laptops, 5 Domain controllers, 4000+ accounts in active directory, ETC. And someone shouldnt take my advice cuz i have under 500 posts lol ??? why because i didnt know the forum was around in 2000. And that some 12 yo with 5000 posts of saying AMD is better then intel and nvidia rocks ATI, is more quilified to answer a question then me ? lol that makes no sense. just putting in a little perspective about post counts. its a stupid number.

That is what i was saying on the first page.

Question:

What's talking about this gonna' prove/solve? Just sounds like a big rant to me.

Also, yeah. There are people who know a nice bit about modern computers, but know s***-all about last-generation PentiumII/I/K6 systems. I'm a little in between, since I have a ton of old Pentium 2 and 3 systems.

To install RAM, you feed it in through the floppy drive. The drive will then break it down and install it into your system.

Trust me, I've got 11,500 posts......I can't be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom