Sound Output Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeselolz

Beta member
Recently, I've run into some odd issues when playing sound through my desktop. Whatever I want to play does come out of the speakers, but at a barely audible volume and is scratchy and distorted. I know the speakers are in working order, because oddly enough when I plug my guitar into my line-in, it sounds just fine. It's not just my speakers anyway - I get the same low scratchy sound when I plug in my headphones.

This is a strangely recent problem. I played guitar using my desktop speakers (like I've done on a nearly daily basis for several months - I don't think it had anything do do with it) and when I was done, my sound seemed to be stuck like this - non-line-in anyway.

I have Logitech 5.1 speakers.
I'm using the on-board 5.1 audio (ASUS A8N-E Motherboard).
The drivers are up to date (Realtek AC'97 Audio)

I've exhausted everything I could think of, so I thought I'd come here and find someone a little more knowledgeable in audio hardware.

EDIT: Seems like strictly a hardware problem now. I dual-boot this machine with Ubuntu Linux and I get the same problem there. Is there a chance that I fried my onboard sound somehow?

onboard is known to crap out. You should try using the drivers off of the motherboard cd. If you dont have it, then I can send them to you if i can locate them as I have the same motherboard.

It may be in your best interest to invest 40-50 into a PCI card. As a matter of fact, I'm selling my Audigy 2 ZS for $45 shipped. See the Buy/sell/trade section.

Anyways... try original drivers. If that doesn't work, then your board is probably messed up. You could also try posting in the ASUS forums (which are EXTREMELY helpful and have helped me a LOT).

Thanks for the tips. I tried re-installing the drivers already - no dice. I'll take a look through the ASUS forums and see if there's any possible solutions there. If not, I'll go out and buy a nice sound card. I wasn't too crazy about the onboard anyway.

It's just puzzling to me that line-in is clear as a bell while playing sound normally isn't.

True that - try to de-ox and/or clean the jacks with either some contact cleaner or some rubbing alcohol. If its alcohol, dip a q-tip in it and clean it. If its contact cleaner, all you have to do is spray some in there (not a lot mind you) and it will evaporate within a few seconds.

If you can't fix it using the cleaning method, then i think that you fried in onboard sound pro. unit. It can happen (really high volume, voltage fluctuations, short circuit...). Try to buy a new sound card. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom