Sony gets owned

Joe C

Golden Master
Personally I've never been a fan of Sony or any of their products because of the whole rootkit thing they started several years ago but....
It's being reported that Sony lost 25 gb of personal employee data, and a couple of new movies before they were released. not only that, but their pc's and servers hard drives got wiped after the breach and shut down their services.
At the same time, the malware starts accessing the hard drive and deleting its contents sector by sector. Once it's complete, it issues a command to Windows to suspend for two hours, then reboots the computer when it wakes. At that point, the drive is completely wiped.

Interesting stories here:

Inside the “wiperâ€￾ malware that brought Sony Pictures to its knees | Ars Technica

Sony Breach May Have Exposed Employee Healthcare, Salary Data — Krebs on Security

Although I do feel bad about all the employees data breach, Sony is not the best loved company IMHO

Last edited:
From my understanding, several hundred terabytes of data was exposed during the hack... Then again, guess Sony never really learned.

That's true, Their play station servers have been hacked more than once, One would think they would have had much better security by now. The stories relate that it may have been somebody on the inside

maybe I should have named this thread "Sony gets owned...Again"

Last edited:
It just amazes me how over 100 terabytes can slip through a giant network like that without being noticed.

Well, if they had a botnet at their disposal... In theory if the pipe is large enough, the botnet could have pulled most all the data for them. But I said exposed, not downloaded, they probably just quickly sifted through and grabbed what looked tasty to their eyes.

Not really. 25GB is a small speck out of 100TB or so of data. That to me seems like they got lucky or they got greedy and jacked a bunch more after they found other things they could use against Sony.

To anybody asking how they got the data past networking they were siphoning it for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom