Sharepoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloksin

Baseband Member
We've just installed microsoft sharepoint server 2007 (MOSS 2007) and are trying to learn all about it. A problem I am having, that I can't seem to resolve, is assigning user friendly url's to the sharepoint sites that we are creating. When a site or app is created it gets a default url in the form of "http://[servername]:[port #]". We would like to change these to something more friendly like "http://mysite.com or mysite.lan". I have tried assigning this type of url during the creation of the site, I have also tried changing it using alternate access mapping. None of it works, when attempting to go to that site in IE it goes to dell's google search page. I have added a new host (a) record in dnsmgmt and pointed it to the ip of the sharepoint server, I have added host headers in IIS manager, I have done these independently and together, but nothing seems to work. So what is the proper procedure for changing the url of a sharepoint site?

Couldnt change it to a more firendly URL unless you owned that domain and use the PC as a server for that domain. until you get a domain and use the PC as a server you will have to use the current method cause that is how people connect PC to PC without a Domain or web host.

MOSS 2007 is installed on a dell poweredge 2950 with raid 5 which is used exclusively for sharepoint. It has ASP.net, dot net framework 3, and SQL 2005 installed on it. We own the domain already. We have 2 domain servers and a seperate web server in our farm. We currently have 8 rack mounted and 2 tower servers total. I added the dns record on both domain servers and made the chages in IIS on the sharepoint server. I still cannot get the url's to work.

Might have to go to the Domain Controller site (GoDaddy or where ever you bought the domain from) and contact their support team. IT could be that you dont have the right permissions. It could also be something else. I am going to move this to the programming discussion area as this is a bit beyond Windows and more toward Web Site stuff.

I understand what you are trying to do. But this area is mainly for Windows problems and this one is a bit beyond that.

The reason it has the port# is because of the way you set up the Web Application. By default it chooses some random port numer. You can change that to use port 80 which will solve your problem.

If you have any data on your current web app, you will need to back it up and restore it to the new one.

FYI. This aspect of SharePoint is not programming :)

Whenever we set an app to port 80 we can never get it to open, always comes up with errors.

Can you post the error?

Also, the easiest way to use the random port# would be to create a separate site in IIS that is a redirect to your sharepoint site on the random port #.

the error is "Sorry, we couldn't find ......" ..... are the url I assigned to the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom