Rant for any non-US resident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget we get everything first, too. Most games, music, and hardware relase the US before anyplace else (except sometimes Japan). Must be tough ;)

Japan seesm to get sony and nintendo consoles much earlier that the rest of the world.

Computer related items we seem to get about a week or 2 behind the US. However because of the remoteness of Australia, things are more expensive.

The only thing that we have good prices on here in AUS are LCD monitors (not TV's). I can grab me a 22" Samsung for like $220.

The only thing that we have good prices on here in AUS are LCD monitors (not TV's). I can grab me a 22" Samsung for like $220.
Enjoy that while it lasts. I know that Sony and Phillips (??) got busted last year for ripping off the rest of the world in regards to the price of the LCD screen materials. This did bring the prices of LCDs down. However the effect of the enchange rate will be catching up with with us soon.

The funny thing was that in October last year when the aussie dollar crashed, the price of computer parts went up. In fact there was some suppliers that wasted no time in increase the cost of part. Especially Microsoft Office OEM as the prices on those when up by 30% over night!!!!

When the a computer store cost price goes up, i need to pass this on the end user.

Now then next thing that i have heard to death is people complaining about how that computer store have all ready purchased the stock before the collapse of the dollar and that is unfair when that they jack up thier prices when they still have older stock that they purchased at the older price. Keep in mind that computer shops need to purchase new stock when they sell the old stock.
Keep in mind that they still need to have money to purchase the stock when it comes in. When the you are lucky to see 10% profit from computer sales and your cost goes up by 30% ; unless you increase your sell prices on your older cheaper stock just so you can purchase new stock.

When you purchase some thing, whether it a computer parts or a can of coke, part of the money is profit, the rest is there ability to purchaces replacement stock. If a store does not do that, then they might as well be having a closing down sale instead.

I still dont see how we get better deals.

You guys pay more, and have a higher cost of living but you also have a national healthcare system and the value of your currency is higher and you get paid more.

most jobs here provide heatlhcare (most good ones anyways) but even then you still have to pay for it...just at a reduced cost in most cases.

And we still get taxed pretty hard too...in reality it evens out.

Tax rate in Sweden is between 46 to 60% on income and 25% in stores. If you use the health care here it is probably a little better deal but if you are healthy you are out of luck. In America it depends upon income level but the average is around 15 to 45% on income (including state and city taxes were applicable) and on average 8% in stores.

And do not get me started on Gas prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom