Random Chit Chat

The recent heatwave has been on the news around here for those in the west/southwest. Today we have a Canadian cold front come through here, down right chilly this morning::
1624360028628.png

Just wait for 30 years time when we inevitably blow far past the 1.5c reccomended temp increase limit. Weather is going to be wild. There will be water wars, mega hurricanes, massive flooding, deadly heatwaves constantly. Oh it will be great, there will never be a dull moment as tens of thousands die every month around the world.

edit:

Fuck I just realised this is probably going to result in deadly species of spiders making a foothold in the UK. No bueno. I'll be moving to iceland if that happens.

Just wait for 30 years time when we inevitably blow far past the 1.5c reccomended temp increase limit. Weather is going to be wild. There will be water wars, mega hurricanes, massive flooding, deadly heatwaves constantly. Oh it will be great, there will never be a dull moment as tens of thousands die every month around the world.

edit:

Fuck I just realised this is probably going to result in deadly species of spiders making a foothold in the UK. No bueno. I'll be moving to iceland if that happens.
Already happening really.

In other news, I'm not a fan of my new job. They have way too much to do simple things, and things that should be simple are over complicated by the tools that are supposed to make them "simple". You can tell they got sold so much software in the name of "simplification" when all it does is over complicate and overwork the tech trying to do a simple task. Connectwise seems ok for the most part, but then all the HR, sales, and accounting stuff gets mixed in making it bloated for a tech to use as a ticket system. At least Control is to the point, and for the most part so is Automate even if it's slow as hell locally. Also feels like they decided to add "features" in areas that don't need anything to do tasks you otherwise normally wouldn't ever combine in the name of filling space. Remedy was an oversimplification but it at least got the job done, and wasn't bloated out the ears to do basic shit. That's all just blah stuff that can be overcome. The HR department and upper management outside of our branch has turned the place into a "big Cali tech" clone adding so many things to your day in the name of making your day better. For instance, 15Five is rather stupid IMO. Supposed to be a "direct way to share your feelings", yea, so is simply going to your boss and saying hey this is a problem. I don't want to be forced to waste my time every Friday to write something dumb down and select a smiley face rating when all I want to do is hurry up through the traffic and get home to my actual comfortable chair and working space. I left a big corpo environment just to get readded to another that is outright shafting their SAs in the name of management not wanting to lower level manage.
To add to that, I'm definitely a last resort because they clearly couldn't find another dude that would want to drive an hour one way without traffic for 3 days out of the week. Don't get me wrong, super nice people, seems like a great place to work if all that is your cup of tea. Idk maybe Covid made me realize just how much better WFH really was. I'm definitely not a cookie cutter big tech office kind of person.

I honestly won't stop looking until I finally land at a place that's straight up and to the point. Client has problem, go fix problem, done. I didn't think MSP work would be for me, and it definitely isn't. Especially one that decided to merge 5 companies into one over a peer group session to wind up being a mockery on Silicon Valley (not really, but seems like it).

/r

Already happening really.

In other news, I'm not a fan of my new job. They have way too much to do simple things, and things that should be simple are over complicated by the tools that are supposed to make them "simple". You can tell they got sold so much software in the name of "simplification" when all it does is over complicate and overwork the tech trying to do a simple task. Connectwise seems ok for the most part, but then all the HR, sales, and accounting stuff gets mixed in making it bloated for a tech to use as a ticket system. At least Control is to the point, and for the most part so is Automate even if it's slow as hell locally. Also feels like they decided to add "features" in areas that don't need anything to do tasks you otherwise normally wouldn't ever combine in the name of filling space. Remedy was an oversimplification but it at least got the job done, and wasn't bloated out the ears to do basic shit. That's all just blah stuff that can be overcome. The HR department and upper management outside of our branch has turned the place into a "big Cali tech" clone adding so many things to your day in the name of making your day better. For instance, 15Five is rather stupid IMO. Supposed to be a "direct way to share your feelings", yea, so is simply going to your boss and saying hey this is a problem. I don't want to be forced to waste my time every Friday to write something dumb down and select a smiley face rating when all I want to do is hurry up through the traffic and get home to my actual comfortable chair and working space. I left a big corpo environment just to get readded to another that is outright shafting their SAs in the name of management not wanting to lower level manage.
To add to that, I'm definitely a last resort because they clearly couldn't find another dude that would want to drive an hour one way without traffic for 3 days out of the week. Don't get me wrong, super nice people, seems like a great place to work if all that is your cup of tea. Idk maybe Covid made me realize just how much better WFH really was. I'm definitely not a cookie cutter big tech office kind of person.

I honestly won't stop looking until I finally land at a place that's straight up and to the point. Client has problem, go fix problem, done. I didn't think MSP work would be for me, and it definitely isn't. Especially one that decided to merge 5 companies into one over a peer group session to wind up being a mockery on Silicon Valley (not really, but seems like it).

/r

Never liked the idea of working for an MSP either. Mainly because I don't like commuting or travel, so having to travel to other businesses everyday to install servers or set something up isn't appealing to me. I did interview at one and it seemed pretty cool, but they didn't choose me anyway. They fucked up the interview question which meant I answered it wrong. They asked me "How would you set up a new domain" and I sat there talking for like 5 minutes as that's a pretty big question and potentially a lot involved, after the interview they gave feedback and on the feedback they said I answered their question about "Setting up a new domain *server*" wrong. They just wanted to know how to add a domain controller to an existing domain, not an actual entire new domain... that annoyed me. Anyway I ended up where I am now which I am happy with, big company but feels pretty personal with approachable managers, an actually solid HR and great career progression. So all worked out well in the end.

And when you say you're not a typical big tech employee, I guess I wouldn't be either. I always think I would love to work for Google or whatever, but I think in reality I really wouldn't. I bet it's full of a lot of big ego pretentious people, and the work is probably very high pressured.

Think I just got scammed but I can't figure out how. So I ordered a few things off Amazon, two minutes later I get a call claiming to be amazon. They knew my name, knew exactly what I ordered and the total value. They asked to confirm I made this purchase, and I said yes. Then they just said "okay thanks we'll process your order, goodbye". And that was it. They never asked me for any personal information or banking info which is why I wasn't too initially suspicious, as my order was quite expensive, so I figured maybe they are genuinely checking. But now i'm pretty sure it wasn't Amazon, but I just don't know what they could have gotten out of that convo, or how they knew my order. I have 2FA on both my email and Amazon account, so it seems VERY unlikely they somehow gained access to my email or Amazon account and that's how they knew my order details. And even if they did, i'm just trying to figure out what they gained from that conversation.

Think I just got scammed but I can't figure out how. So I ordered a few things off Amazon, two minutes later I get a call claiming to be amazon. They knew my name, knew exactly what I ordered and the total value. They asked to confirm I made this purchase, and I said yes. Then they just said "okay thanks we'll process your order, goodbye". And that was it. They never asked me for any personal information or banking info which is why I wasn't too initially suspicious, as my order was quite expensive, so I figured maybe they are genuinely checking. But now i'm pretty sure it wasn't Amazon, but I just don't know what they could have gotten out of that convo, or how they knew my order. I have 2FA on both my email and Amazon account, so it seems VERY unlikely they somehow gained access to my email or Amazon account and that's how they knew my order details. And even if they did, i'm just trying to figure out what they gained from that conversation.
They got a recording of you saying "Yes". I've gotten a LOT of calls where a recording says that it is such-and-such and then asks if I can hear them, which is wanting me to say yes so it can be recorded and then used for whatever they want to hit me with. When I say "I can hear you" they disconnect. :D

They got a recording of you saying "Yes". I've gotten a LOT of calls where a recording says that it is such-and-such and then asks if I can hear them, which is wanting me to say yes so it can be recorded and then used for whatever they want to hit me with. When I say "I can hear you" they disconnect. :D

Yeah could be it, so I guess they'll phone back at some point with some other scam bs. But i'm still intrigued as to how they know exactly what I ordered off Amazon. Also, why go to the length of findout out what I ordered when like you said, they could have just asked "Can you hear me?". Still seems odd to me. Guess i'll find out soon.

Never liked the idea of working for an MSP either. Mainly because I don't like commuting or travel, so having to travel to other businesses everyday to install servers or set something up isn't appealing to me. I did interview at one and it seemed pretty cool, but they didn't choose me anyway. They fucked up the interview question which meant I answered it wrong. They asked me "How would you set up a new domain" and I sat there talking for like 5 minutes as that's a pretty big question and potentially a lot involved, after the interview they gave feedback and on the feedback they said I answered their question about "Setting up a new domain *server*" wrong. They just wanted to know how to add a domain controller to an existing domain, not an actual entire new domain... that annoyed me. Anyway I ended up where I am now which I am happy with, big company but feels pretty personal with approachable managers, an actually solid HR and great career progression. So all worked out well in the end.

And when you say you're not a typical big tech employee, I guess I wouldn't be either. I always think I would love to work for Google or whatever, but I think in reality I really wouldn't. I bet it's full of a lot of big ego pretentious people, and the work is probably very high pressured.
By big tech, I mean the mentality. Lookup Trumethods and you'll understand what I mean. Another good example, the Hoolie company on Silicon Valley. A lot of MSPs that lacked business sense adopted these cookie cutter big tech philosophy and that's what these guys did. During my last conference meeting/training today I was asked by my direct manager what I thought of Trumethods and I gave him my literal honest opinion. Long story short, I said it's all common sense in terms of proactive vs reactive business model, and the rest is lipstick on a pig. Selling the same service in a fancy package to gain more annual margins while manipulating your workers thinking they're more important than they are to do 2x or more work to up profits even further. He chuckled and said it helped and that was that.

Back
Top Bottom