Random Chit Chat

Thanks, I will do what I can bout it. Did so much and still trying to find the other official end of the transaction and ask them to cancel the payment before the product is used. So far found one possible side. I'm looking for more to spread emails to.

What the actual hell.

Rented a Fuji X100V for the weekend, wanted to try one out without buying one. So anyway I get home, go for a 7 day trial of Adobe Lightroom CC. Import my 227 odd photos. By the time i've finished editing Lightroom is chugging 22GB of RAM and flicking between the different picture presets is quite laggy like my system is choking. It was 227 26mpx JPEGs. WTF kind of system do I need if I imported 2000 100mpx RAWs ?

What the actual hell.

Rented a Fuji X100V for the weekend, wanted to try one out without buying one. So anyway I get home, go for a 7 day trial of Adobe Lightroom CC. Import my 227 odd photos. By the time i've finished editing Lightroom is chugging 22GB of RAM and flicking between the different picture presets is quite laggy like my system is choking. It was 227 26mpx JPEGs. WTF kind of system do I need if I imported 2000 100mpx RAWs ?
Well file sizes depend largely on subject, ISO, lens etc but avg file size is roughly half the MP so 227 images at roughly 13MB a pop is almost 3GB in itself. When you start using presets, LUTs, or adding effects that multiplies by double as I think Lightroom keeps the original in RAM and modifies a copy instead of reading off the drive again. So that's 6GB. Add the additional RAM needed for the extra edits per image and yea I can see it using 22GB rather easily. Go into preferences and you can set how much RAM you want to limit the program to and if it starts swapping from RAM to SSD/HDD it'll start to chug. People thought I was nuts for wanting 64GB to do shoot edits and video editing but these programs can eat the RAM easy. I just recently had a client that had a failing SSD and when I went to investigate I realized his entire Lightroom catalog cache in itself was about 800GB (leaving his 1TB SSD full 24/7 and killing NAND). Mind you this isn't images, this is just a catalog cache of his edits that point back to another drive with the RAWs.

Normally if I have a PC issue I am more than happy to pay to upgrade my PC. Like I sit on this thing for 12+ hours a day almost every day so it's not like any upgrades go unused. But I just don't feel happy upgrading atm. I want a new CPU, but I don't want to upgrade CPU now when DDR5 supporting CPU's and chipsets will be out in like 12 to 18 months from what I understand ?. I wanna upgrade to a 12 or 16 core CPU, 64GB DDR5, and a 7GB/s SSD all at once.

Honestly I get what you said about the RAM usage of lightroom, it makes sense, but like I said I was editing a pretty small amount of photos so I really wonder how much RAM that app can use with 1000's of massive photos.

Honestly I kind of have to wonder if it really needs to be so RAM heavy with modern NVME SSD's. Especially those 7GB/s boys. e.g. if you highlighted 100 50mb RAW files and clicked "revert to original" it would take... like 0.7 seconds to load. Not much at all. I guess there is more to it than that. My M1 MBA uses a lot of disk caching because it only has 8GB of RAM, but the SSD is fast and you never really notice, so I might try Lightroom on that out of interest...

Lol this guys reddit post about it
gaw dayum.

Normally if I have a PC issue I am more than happy to pay to upgrade my PC. Like I sit on this thing for 12+ hours a day almost every day so it's not like any upgrades go unused. But I just don't feel happy upgrading atm. I want a new CPU, but I don't want to upgrade CPU now when DDR5 supporting CPU's and chipsets will be out in like 12 to 18 months from what I understand ?. I wanna upgrade to a 12 or 16 core CPU, 64GB DDR5, and a 7GB/s SSD all at once.
I'm in the same boat. I've been decently happy with my platform but the past few months it's just been really pissing me off. I'm really inclined to move to Rocket Lake but I know Alder is coming this year and AM5 next year. My only big concern is I know Alder will have scheduling issues with Windows.
Honestly I get what you said about the RAM usage of lightroom, it makes sense, but like I said I was editing a pretty small amount of photos so I really wonder how much RAM that app can use with 1000's of massive photos.
The client I mentioned said he had over 20,000 RAWs. His machine was only an HP with an i7 8700 and 32GB of RAM with no GPU. He kept mentioning wanting to max it out but really outside of a GPU it was already maxed out.
Honestly I kind of have to wonder if it really needs to be so RAM heavy with modern NVME SSD's. Especially those 7GB/s boys. e.g. if you highlighted 100 50mb RAW files and clicked "revert to original" it would take... like 0.7 seconds to load. Not much at all. I guess there is more to it than that. My M1 MBA uses a lot of disk caching because it only has 8GB of RAM, but the SSD is fast and you never really notice, so I might try Lightroom on that out of interest...
They're not all they're cracked up to be. I have a 1TB Rocket 4 Plus and in anything I do I see virtually no difference between it and my older 960 EVO. I know the last thing I'd want to do is thrash the shit out of one of these needlessly. And in the case of the 980 Pro it does it's caching on RAM anyways so we're back to just using more RAM.
Lol this guys reddit post about it
I'm inclined to believe it, but at the same time I'm not. Mainly because the most I've ever seen is 50% usage which for me is only 8 threads. Then again the most I've ever dealt with is around 60 RAW images.

This whole thing with consumer goods being perpetually out of stock is so frustrating. PS5, 3080, Ryzen CPU's, Telescopes.. and now even when I am getting back into the camera game, the ones I am interested in are out of stock for weeks/months.

Back
Top Bottom