Random Chit Chat

I've had experienced that too. Ordered a package and it goes to Metro Detroit, to Pontiac, back to Metro and then goes to Lansing...back to Metro again to finally my home town.
Although we get our dog food on line from Towanda, NY. and it always get here in two days and they have delivered on a Sunday Too! Could it be the producer and what they pay for ship?
It was picked up and shipped out of Arlington on the 9th, arrived in on the 10th at 9:08am... and that's the last update. I've been waiting since sometime in February. Heck, it's going to be outdated before it ever gets to me at this rate.

Well I'm on the hunt for a new job. They want us to start coming back to the office full time, but they know if they do that the whole team will quit. So now they want us coming in twice a week, which is 60 miles a day for me in DFW traffic. While it's still 2 days I'm going to look since it takes me 3-6 months to find something new.

Oh, the PC arrived on Wednesday the 14th. I haven't got to fire it up yet as FedEx tried their best to destroy it. The wooden crate had the top taped on because they had sheered off five of the six screws and ripped the other out of the wood. When I opened it I found that is was the bottom,not the top, that had been ripped off. Everything was there and it was in one piece... minus all but one screw in the motherboard. The motherboard is on 1" or so risers and the screws had been rattled out. The video card looks fine but it is at an angle, going to have to tighten up the support for it. I've just got to find the time to work on it.

Honestly, I am already thinking about transplanting it into a regular case. It's cool and all but I'm not crazy about how the motherboard is held in. I just don't know if the water cooler would be able to be moved. The hoses seems to be rubber-like, and where it passes through the wooden backplate they seem to be one piece with some hard plastic grommets/supports holding them in place..

Attachments

• 20230614_111141[1].jpg
    20230614_111141[1].jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230614_210945[1].jpg
    20230614_210945[1].jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 9
I'm sure PP Mac will chime in, but why not just drain it, do a transplant and get some new tubing instead of trying to figure out how it was installed in the first place? Looks like standard 13/14mm tubing. Plus you can cut it to fit your new case, etc...

I'm sure PP Mac will chime in, but why not just drain it, do a transplant and get some new tubing instead of trying to figure out how it was installed in the first place? Looks like standard 13/14mm tubing. Plus you can cut it to fit your new case, etc...
There's nothing in the loop ATM. I would still have to get a case for it first. I'm already looking at another set of RAM to fill in the empty slots and another M.2 or three.

My thought is to get it up and running and make sure that everything is good to go, and then move it once I get the case. The guts are way beyond what I could afford.

Ryzen 7900X
Asus Strix X670-E
32GB T-Force TUF DDR5 5200
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB

The motherboard was supposed to be a MSI MPG Carbon WIFI X670E and the RAM 32GB of G.SKILL TRIDENT Z5, but the gut who built it was under contract with Asus so he used the Strix and TUF memory. Since it took so long to get the rig he also sent me another mobo, an Asus TUF Gaming X670E-Plus Wifi. I ain't complaining about it.

No need to waste money on Gen 4 SSD. I've found that the speeds are the pretty much the same for Gen 3 over 4 for a game drive. OS is very slightly faster load time, but IMO, not a big deal if you can find a good deal on Gen 3.

I found some Corsair P3 plus drives on sale (2TB) for 95 so I would watch sales.

I've read that the 7900X likes DDR5 6000 for stability, but I'm still on AM4 so can't speak from experience. But that CPU is a beast. I think you'll be impressed. Only reason I gave up mine is the middle boy is making money with it and it was being wasted on me just gaming.

The tubing looks to me like EK ZMT which is basically the best soft tube on the market. No cracking, kinking, or age issues with this tubing.
Everything else looks like standard EK, so I'd assume the pump/res is also EK probaby mounted on the back? Transplantable for sure.

As for the RAM, do not add 2 more sticks. If you want 64GB then get a 2x32GB kit, but don't put 4 sticks in it. You'll run into a ton of stability issues.
Not gonna lie, I'd probably sell the core platform and go with Intel and then sell the water parts and stick a Phanteks T30 Gen 2 AIO in it. 3000 and 5000 was really really solid, but the 7000 rigs I put together for customers so far all took a lot of time to get stable and none of them ran proper XMP for me. AM5 is pretty hit or miss. If it works fine out of the box I'd just not mess with it.

I found some Corsair P3 plus drives on sale (2TB) for 95 so I would watch sales.
You can get 980 Pro 2TB for 122 these days. My wife and I have the same drives and I can definitely tell hers is running in Gen 3 mode. When I replaced her el cheapo SPCC 1TB I couldn't tell much of a difference because they're both Gen 3 but the difference between hers and mine seems pretty significant in everyday stuff.

Cache size difference between Gen 3 and 4 drive size, maybe? Or could I just have basic every day cheaper drives that don't have the speeds to warrant me seeing difference? When I put this one together, you were right about a game drive having no real speed difference, (between gen3 vs. 4) but after testing drives with the OS, I really can't see much difference either...

Meh, might be just me...

Cache size difference between Gen 3 and 4 drive size, maybe? Or could I just have basic every day cheaper drives that don't have the speeds to warrant me seeing difference? When I put this one together, you were right about a game drive having no real speed difference, (between gen3 vs. 4) but after testing drives with the OS, I really can't see much difference either...

Meh, might be just me...
It's the mixed random and better controllers.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/samsung-980-pro-1-tb-ssd/4.html

Reading and writing random at the same time the higher IOPS of gen 4 make them feel faster doing OS stuff.

Review with newer drives.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sabrent-rocket-4-plus-4-tb/4.html
Of course, 2TB and 4TB drives will be faster than 1TB drives. If you look at the mixed chart you can really see why SATA SSDs now seem so much slower than NVMe. Raw 4K QD1 performance still hasn't improved much but the better controllers and flash really showcase true workloads which are mixed read and write of small files. Now, if we could get 4 and 8TB Gen 3 drives way cheap I'd be scooping those up in favor of the speed but when it comes to 1 or 2TB I'd get the newer drives every time. Unless the price difference is say 50-75 bucks.

Edit: And I'm still on my hill about the 980 Pros but even I can put aside my feelings for a good ass deal lol. Last year I got a pair of 2TB ones with heatsinks for 134 which was dumb cheap at the time. I even got a 1TB for 79 last month for my server. Will host dedicated game server files replacing a 1TB Gen 3 SPCC.

Back
Top Bottom