Raising the Concordia---- Live

I was so damn bored waiting for GTA5 to turn up earlier today (It didn't) I watched 1 hour of it live on BBC News, literally NOTHING happened, it was one of the most boring live programs i've ever seen. I think the ship rotated up right by about 2degrees in the time that I watched it.

Seriously, they would have made more money if they made it into an awesome spectacle and broadcasted it live around the world. They could have put fireworks all over it, then filled it with a couple hundred tonnes of TNT, and played The Final Countdown before detonation. Now that would have been a worthwhile watch, perhaps a little bad for the environment, but meh... the profits from the program could go towards the clean up. Certainly easier than moving a 100,000 tonne ship.

It's actually gone up a whole lot since I looked at it last.

I just read the article, and everything they are doing makes absolutely no sense. The ship went down last year, right? They just now decide to do this, live stream it, make a big deal, only for it to sit until spring next year and then haul it off to be scrapped. That is a lot of ****ing work for nothing really.

It's actually gone up a whole lot since I looked at it last.

I just read the article, and everything they are doing makes absolutely no sense. The ship went down last year, right? They just now decide to do this, live stream it, make a big deal, only for it to sit until spring next year and then haul it off to be scrapped. That is a lot of ****ing work for nothing really.

Exactly!

This world is so damn boring. It's always "what is environmentally friendly" or "what is the most cost effective". World needs to loosen up. I genuinely think they should have blown it up, or set it on fire, something fun. Make something fun out of a bad situation.

Not even trolling.

Considering the ship is still owned by a company, and apparently is also government property because it is still classified as a crime scene and needs to be checked out, I can sort of see why it will be sitting for a few more months.

Plus, if I am not mistaken, the ship still contains a lot of passenger items that must be returned, gonna take awhile to go through all of that.

If you had read it was expected to take 12hrs, so it wasn't gonna be very quick.
The biggest problem was it didn't move for the 1st 3hrs, when it finally did they only move the strand jacks maybe 30cm max at a time.

I'm guessing that you didn't know the ship cost over 500 hundred million dollars to build, and the salvage was to be nearly 800 million.
The ship probably has a scrap value close to 100 million possibly more depending on if the engines and sub systems are not damaged by the salt water.

So to not go bankrupt completely, they need to scrap it to get the most vaklue they can.

They got right lucky that the ship stayed in shallow water, if it was deeper there would be no way to salvage it. So as right now it's stable and not in danger of sinking they'll triple check it can be safely floated, if not they'll either disassemble the ship there or take it out and send it to the abyss in waqter deep enough to not cause shipping issues.

If that was aimed at me, I actually did read the article. My point was, they made a big deal about it for nothing. That was pretty much a wasted live stream.

Back
Top Bottom