Post your recommended free/shareware OSX apps!

My friend told be about the program better touch tool. Basically it allows you to create custom gestures if your using a MacBook with the glass trackpad, or have magic mouse/trackpad. It also has a nice feature that lets you do the Windows 7 split screen snap and fullscreen snap, along with corner snap so you can divide your screen up four ways if you have a big enough screen.

Here are my custom gestures:

Five Finger Click - Show Spaces
Four Finger Click - Maximize Window
Four Finger Swipe Left/Right - Show Dashboard
Three Finger Click - Middleclick

Download link: Downloads (SecondBar & BetterTouchTool) » BetterTouchTool & SecondBar

Tunnell is a neat little game you can play using your MacBook/MacBook Pro. It uses your MacBook Hard Drive's sudden motion sensor to detect movement, so if you want to go left you just tilt your MacBook left.

Download Link: Download Tunnel 1.1 Free - Tunnel - Humble tribute to Tunnel, an awesome arcade game one can play on an hp48 calculator - Softpedia

Handbreak is a great free program for converting videos, it runs in x64 mode if your Mac Can is capable. It is also available for Windows and some Linux users as well.

Download Link: HandBrake

Last but not least I would like to point out that if you want a good free program to record your screen their is a good one that comes built into quicktime.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one yet, but I love Skitch--a screenshot app. Use it all the time.

Onyx- It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run miscellaneous tasks of system maintenance, to configure the hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock and of some of Apple's own applications

Caffeine - keeps your mac awake with a click.

Breakaway - automatically stops sound coming from speakers when earphones are plugged out.

Memory Clean - clears up RAM.

Disk Diag - deletes unwanted files.

Last edited:
I recommend “Disk Utility” useful in disk partitioning (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utilities) and Time Machine feature for restoring backup (in menu bar dock). Both these options attracted me towards Mac.

I switched to Mac late last year and haven't regretted the decision! :) My favourite apps are:

Caffeine - Keep your mac awake at the click of a button.

F.lux - Change your screen brightness and colour based on time (easy on the eyes).

Memory Clean - Free up RAM quickly and easily.

VLC - Play ANY video format (get it for iOS as well if you have it!).

Pocket - Save online articles for offline reading.

There are tons more that I use on an almost daily basis as well that are worth checking out:

- Breakaway
- Microsoft Office (Still better than Pages, Keynote etc IMO)
- Snip
- Disk Diag
- Paintbrush

Desktop Utility gives an instant access to important system tasks

Tubbler app allows to watch You Tube video in a player.

Moreover, I have heard about SwitchResX App, which plays a vital role in providing unparalled control over monitor resolution area.

P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } I like to use 'Spotlight'. Built-in app in Mac, launched by pressing together Command + Spacebar. If I need any application, then I type the name and quickly I get that in the drop down list. Moreover, I like to use Disk Utility (Applications> Utilities> Disk Utilities)

Back
Top Bottom