PCI-E question

I was wrong about the pins. I'd need a 20 pin to 10 pin adapter with the right pinout.

I could use the original supply, but that would limit me on video cards.

I could get a better power supply of the same size and manufacturer which might have the same 10 pin connector.

Here's the stock supply.

20200920_011017.jpg

They make power supplies in that same form factor up to 500W, but they come in 24 pin flavor. I know they make adapter cables for HP and Dell boards with proprietary connectors so I would look for one. You can use the same case, or you'd be able to use a standard power supply in a standard case.

https://www.amazon.com/FSP-Solution...TYBAM2WJFNG3&refRID=QJE9VJB7TYBAM2WJFNG3&th=1

Any particular reason why you're trying to reuse this old board?

Trying to use it as the board is still pretty good for most things i do with a computer.

Now concerning the motherboard connector on computer power supplies are the wire colors standardized as far as computer power supplies go?

If so I could splice in my 10 pin connector to a new power supply just by connecting the same color wires together.

I do have an electronics background so I can do things like measure voltage, solder ETC...

Now mine has a 10 pin connector with a 4 pin connector right next to it exactly like how the 20 +4 pin motherboard connectors are done.

So id need a 20 pin to 10 pin adapter, but an adapter just adds another failure point so wiring in my existing connector is probably best.

The 4 pin is the CPU aux 12v input. Your PSU and standard PSUs are the same in this regard, so you'd need a 24pin to 10pin adapter.

In fact the 400W model would be a little better in this regard due to the tight clearance of the connectors on the board. It has an 8 pin CPU cable that breaks into dual 4 pins, and a 6+2PCI-E connector for a graphics card.
https://www.amazon.com/FSP-Solution...014G2OUG2/ref=psdc_1161760_t2_B07CK72QK8?th=1

Another thing to think about is if you're not trying to high end game or anything a low profile GPU without a 6 pin connector would actually run on your current PSU. Something like a GT 1030 or even a 1650 LP would work.
https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Graphics-Low-Profile-ZT-T16500H-10L/dp/B07W15Y8R8

So how would the 24 pin to 10 pin adapter work when I'd need to plug in the four pin cable to the motherboard directly when the main connector is only 20 pins ?

Now for this one I'd also add a VGA monitor in addition to the built in display and a 32' HDTV. I can just use the built in VGA port for that.

Last edited:
So how would the 24 pin to 10 pin adapter work when I'd need to plug in the four pin cable to the motherboard directly when the main connector is only 20 pins ?
You're confusing yourself. The main ATX connector for a standard ATX motherboard is 24 pins (like the PSUs linked). As in all 24 go into one slot. That 4 pin connector on your board is CPU power, it does not come off the 24 pin. It comes off of a secondary connector made for CPU aux power.61EzoS3hYSL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I'll count again but an older supply i have i think only has 20 pins on the main connector.

Perhaps currently available supplies have 24 pins.

Oh ok so would the individual wire colors be the same between the 10 pin and 24 pin connectors?

I also need to measure the voltages at each pin to make sure what they are.

Last edited:
Oh ok so would the individual wire colors be the same between the 10 pin and 24 pin connectors?
Not knowing the board specifics I really have no idea. The machine itself seems pretty niche and proprietary so I wouldn't know. I would assume measuring the voltages/ground and matching them should be fine but don't quote me on that.

Back
Top Bottom