OS Swap from HDD to SSD issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

patonb

Golden Master
So I finally got time to transfer my os to my ssd. Used the tutorial from win7 forum.
SSD - Install and transfer the Operating System - Windows 7 Forums

Got my system booted, but go to install MS pograms and the installer won't work.

Check things out, and its still trying to use the msiexec.msi on the old pation.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I'm stum pped, and had to go back to the old slow drive and it sucks.

I tried and it says they are not for my system.

its odd to me that I moved everything via an image, and yet it is lookig to my H: drive when i run %windir%\system32

Why is it difficult! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Thanks though

EDIT

So through the regedit I reset the location of msiexec from H: to C... Maybe this will all work. Saddly i think i'll hAve future issues due to %windir% reporting to my old OS install.

i would goto system properties, find environmental variables, and change windir. then reboot and check the variable to see if it sticks.

That guide is very... Broad... You could have used just about anything... Anyways, just out of curosity, is the SSD on port 0? Windows MUST be on the drive that is designated as Disk 0, otherwise it will put funky things in funky places when it shouldn't, such as the boot manager...

Aside from that, I have never had this issue when using Acronis 2011 Home to switch between a 120GB HDD and 60GB SSD on my laptop which that switch happens almost yearly as I use my laptop for a few months when its too hot to power my rig and I want an SSD for some extra speed.

Also, AFAIK, Acronis 2011 supports the 100MB partition for the system data, AND works great with keeping things aligned on an SSD, as long as your image isn't a sector by sector backup, it will resize the image partition to fit properly.

I think its actually disk 2. My laptopp has 2 bays, so i just popped it into the empty bay.

Guess when I have the time, i'll try the Acronis way... I have a fdunctioning win install on a speedy ssd, AND my old install still use able, so I can wait.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom