Network hard drive recommendations

If you just plan to use it for storage on the network, it will be fine. However, it does run an OS and you can install apps on it. Like I said, I installed Plex Media Server on it but the performance (like when transcodiing as PP Mguire said above) was not good enough.

If you just plan to use it for storage on the network, it will be fine. However, it does run an OS and you can install apps on it. Like I said, I installed Plex Media Server on it but the performance (like when transcodiing as PP Mguire said above) was not good enough.
That's definitely what it was. Plex apps default to 720p quality for everything, so if you played anything higher than that it won't direct play causing that little NAS CPU to transcode video on the fly. They have media server available for the Shield too and it doesn't make any sense to use these devices for that. Only if they added an NVENC encoder would it make sense.

Ok thanks. When I get my tax refund I'll buy that one. Is there a preferred drive that is better than the ones it comes with?

I don't really need a ton of storage now, but I may go ahead and get more storage now in case I need it later.

Plus if I do full back ups of each computer to where I can just download the disk image to whichever computer failed its hard drive I'd definitely need more storage for that.

Given it has two drives should I devote one to storage and one to back ups of the computers or just do a RAID setup if it can ensure no loss of data should something happen?

Last edited:
Ok thanks. When I get my tax refund I'll buy that one. Is there a preferred drive that is better than the ones it comes with?

I don't really need a ton of storage now, but I may go ahead and get more storage now in case I need it later.

Plus if I do full back ups of each computer to where I can just download the disk image to whichever computer failed its hard drive I'd definitely need more storage for that.

Given it has two drives should I devote one to storage and one to back ups of the computers or just do a RAID setup if it can ensure no loss of data should something happen?
If you think 4TB total would be enough then you could keep them seperate for that. Depending on how many machines you're backing up 2TB should be enough as long as you're not keeping more than 2 backups at a time of each machine.......and if the backups aren't insanely large.

I'd be backing up three computers each with one 500GB SSD. If its possible I want to back up the whole drive so that if one drive fails and I replace it or something happens to the OS I simply have to reimage the drive and the computer is as it was.

I'd be backing up three computers each with one 500GB SSD. If its possible I want to back up the whole drive so that if one drive fails and I replace it or something happens to the OS I simply have to reimage the drive and the computer is as it was.
So you'd have to overwrite each time with only a 2TB drive for imaging.

The purpose of an HDD is the reading, writing, & storing of data. They are reliable devices for backups as well as normal computer processes. HDD technology has been refined significantly, lowering their cost while raising their overall capacity.

Before buying an external HDD, you should consider things like the storage size, connectivity, size of the device, data transfer speed, and many other factors.
Wondering which external hard drive would give you value for your money? Pick for the same from Alta Technologies Inc.

Hope this helps :)

What I'm gonna do is use a PC from 2010 in more of a server role which is what I did with my XP PC for awhile.

I'll put two or three hard drives in it meant for network attached storage.

Back
Top Bottom