Network hard drive recommendations

Yea those drives in there are going to be 5400RPM drives and it'll probably only be one drive they are charging $150 for. You can save 50 bucks by getting the Red or an Ironwolf separately.
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf-5900RPM-Internal-3-5-Inch/dp/B07H289S79/ref=sr_1_4?crid=19SMMFA1RKXX7&dchild=1&keywords=4tb+hard+drive&qid=1611755803&sprefix=4tb,aps,181&sr=8-4
Those Red WD's are supposed to be 5400 rpm drives.... Luck of the draw as to what your going to get
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...tal-caught-misrepresenting-hdd-rpm-speeds-too

All naming schemes and representation has changed on Amazon since the speed and SMR/CMR debacle happened to properly reflect what you're getting. Speaking of that, the odds of getting a pair of SMR drives in that preloaded box is pretty high too.

I may be missing something but you guys realize that the 4TB version of that NAS comes with 2 4TB drives configured as RAID 1, right? I don't think the op will save money buying the diskless version and adding drives.

I own that NAS and don't even use it anymore. It worked fine as simple Network storage but I installed Plex media server on it and it was just too slow for that.

I may be missing something but you guys realize that the 4TB version of that NAS comes with 2 4TB drives configured as RAID 1, right? I don't think the op will save money buying the diskless version and adding drives.

I own that NAS and don't even use it anymore. It worked fine as simple Network storage but I installed Plex media server on it and it was just too slow for that.
We wouldn't because they don't have that indicated anywhere. Newegg answers on the other hand says that it is 2x2TB drives.

What NAS around that price range would you recommend?

So would it be good for if I stored things like music on there and played the file without copying to the computer I'm using?

Also if I stored videos on there and played back with VLC media player or windows media player would it be ok for that.

Back
Top Bottom