Network hard drive recommendations

ikonix360

In Runtime
I'm looking for a hard drive that can connect to my router by an ethernet connection as I want to use it to store files I need access to from three computers and also to eventually serve as a storage device to fully back up all three computers.

Any ideas on what is the best to use at a reasonable cost?

I'd like to go with a solid state drive as this will be powered 24/7 unless a traditional hard drive is best.

Also would it be better to go with one for everything or two with one strictly for back ups?

ikonix360

In Runtime
I don't need tons of storage thankfully.

What I might do is get a four bay one and use two in RAID 1 for storing files I access regularly then using the other two in RAID 1 for the computer backups.

But I can't really afford much right now.

strollin

Knowitall!
Many routers have a USB port that allows for an external hard drive to be plugged in. The drive can then be shared across the network. It's performance is usually not as good as a NAS but still viable. Check to see if your router has a USB port.

ikonix360

In Runtime
Mine is a cable modem with built in router. Don't think it has USB.

Now would it be beneficial to get a router with wifi and ethernet that has a USB port for a USB drive and plug it into my cable modem via ethernet?

Would there be any benefit to the wifi speed and range in doing that or am I now approaching the cost of a NAS?

ikonix360

In Runtime
I could yes but I dont have one I can get working.

By the time I spend the money on one im already at the cost of a specific NAS. Some I saw were around $300 or more

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I am using a Seagate PersonalCloud NAS. It is a standalone and non-expandable but I got it in a trade. I also have a D-Link ShareCenter 2-bay NAS sitting on my desk that I haven't even set up yet (had it over a year now).

Basically I am saying that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a workable solution.

ikonix360

In Runtime
Definitely.

Will have to explore my options.

For now something dirt simple will work. I can upgrade later when I have the money to do so.