Network hard drive recommendations

Think it's software RAID not hardware and there's no actual RAID partitions that I know of. Just the two.

Mini Tool Partition Wizard can recover the data but it's going to cost something like $129 for a lifetime usage license or $99 each year.

Can't spend that yet, but I may when I do my taxes depending on how much I get back.

At least I know I can recover the data.

I may look at the other hard drive tomorrow and see if it is recoverable with free tools. If not I'll try to recover the data to see if the data is on the drive.

Once I pull off all the data I can format both drives and I'll have a pair of good drives I can use with a NAS device.

Out of these which ones are recommended that are $300 and under?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nas+network+attached+storage&crid=2OFJ8THGOX0TA&qid=1609812736&sprefix=network+attacheds,electronics,176&ref=sr_pg_1

Last edited:
Parted Magic is in the UBCD software list. You can use that to recover your data and also format the drives too. Just burn the .iso to the cd disk and set your pc to boot from the disk. There's also an option to make a bootable usb drive with UBCD

Cool. I'll try that today or tomorrow.

Even if the drive doesn't get fixed to where I can access the data in windows without recovering rhe data thats ok as I can just save the files to my desktop then delete what I dont need.

I can then reformat both drives and I'll have two drives to use in a NAS.

EDIT:

Hold the phone.

Just tried the other hard drive and it can be read properly in Windows so I can pull everything from the drive that I need.

Since the one drive is working properly (all files and folders present and readable under Windows) I may leave it connected for now after pulling the most important stuff from the drive until I get a NAS. Then I'll pull everything and sort through it properly.

I feel like I may need a computer with an older OS on it as on a couple things I ran into ownership problems which I corrected, but I'm not sure if I'll have to do it to every folder.

Last edited:
I did that but for some things inside folders I had to individually take ownership.

All that isn't needed is deleted now.

What surprises me is how that one drive was readable without doing anything to it.

Now what I should have done was copied the partition info from that drive to the other or simply cloned it.

I could then possibly have had a bootable XP system but why would I want that now especially since I'd need to get a power supply for the computer since I used its supply for another computer from 2010 running Windows 10.

I could get the diskless and install the two 1TB drives i have.

But the disks that come with it

"Populated with ultra-reliable WD Red NAS drives purposely built to thrive in 24x7 NAS environments."

Back
Top Bottom