Music library and mp3 player

Status
Not open for further replies.

atila

Solid State Member
Music library and mp3 player

Hi!
I know that If you rip an original CD track to MP3 @ 192 kbps, and then for whatever reason, decide to compress that MP3 even further - say to 128, that would result in some loss of quality.

But Building a music library, I am ripping everything on 192, and downloading on 192 too. But then with my future mp3 player, having music on 192 format, that doesnÂ’t allow to store a lot in the player!!!
So thought I could compress a bit more, and the quality – yes the quality will be lower but then, you want good quality, you don’t use a mp3 player but a normal stereo!!! Am I right or wrong…

But then, the days of cd are counted, so we still need to put music on digital format for the future, so what quality audio to use?
Stay with mp3?
Or go with some other format like apple or wma from window media player
Or some new recent one, but may be not compatible with my new mp3 playerÂ… and meaning I have to re-rip all my audio again!!!

Then, technology will be there and there will be no need of compression!!!
And then the web will be access from everywhere, and we wont have our own computer but subscribing monthly to some web site to use and listen the music and for every thing elseÂ….

So, I am getting so confused and lostÂ… my question is what you do today and what do you recommend!!!

And about the future how are you going to keep up?

Oh please!! DonÂ’t tell me that you going to change your ipod each time there is a new one!!!!

thanks

i say stay with MP3. I've burned Dream Theater's Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory to several formats, WMA, MP3, AAC, and the only ones that sounded any different were the low-quality version of said format. MP3 @ 192 was barely different than 320 or straight off the CD. I don't remember the specifics on the others, though, mainly because i, too, have built my library of songs around MP3's at 192.

Personally, i say stick with CD's because they aren't going anywhere for quite a while. Sure, the Sony Walkman you have from 1996 isn't really going to be fashionable, but at least your music will sound good. I'm going to keep a CD player for my home audio setup, and upgrade it as needed.

Snake-Eyes said:
I've burned Dream Theater's Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory to several formats, WMA, MP3, AAC, and the only ones that sounded any different were the low-quality version of said format. MP3 @ 192 was barely different than 320 or straight off the CD. I don't remember the specifics on the others, though, mainly because i, too, have built my library of songs around MP3's at 192.

this is subjective. most people can't tell the differences, but people like me and crysalys and tell the obvious differences.

AAC sounds the best (flac is better but the large file size negate the whole purpose of compression). mp3 is the most compatible.

I say stay with MP3 format. 192 kbps is a good enough compression but still is not comparable to the original. However, it pays off since MP3 format is the most compatible format there is. I'd rather have my music playable in any MP3 players out there than not being able to play them. If you want a good quality, then rip them at 320kbps but there's a minor difference which is only noticeable if you have good hearing or have a good headphones/earphones.

If you want great sound, but want enough space, then 192kbps is the right decision and in mp3 format. What you need is to get a good headphones/earphones like maybe..... "Sure" earphones. They make really great ones, I have the E3c and it sounds amazing! Beats any noise canceling headphones there is.

I would suggest a lossless format like OGG. Of course what mp3 players support ogg? not many.

poorman said:
I would suggest a lossless format like OGG. Of course what mp3 players support ogg? not many.

ogg is not lossless. flac is suppose to be. ogg is another compression method like mp3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom