MSI File opens as a DOC file

XGC Forsakend

Student & Lover of Games
First off, don't know if this is the right section to post this problem :p

As the title reads, I currently have a file which is supposed to be an MSI but I receive it as a DOC and opens in Notepad. The file is a game which I have gotten through GamesRage (similar to HumbleBundle but more focused on indie).

When I click the link (and it says the file name and ends with the msi extension), I notice that I am downloading it as DOC. Searching google for an hour revealed a possible browser problem and being converted into a DOC file instead of MSI but I am not sure...

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on how to fix this issue?

The browser wouldnt switch the extension. So either they uploaded the wrong file or gave an incorrect link. The browser will only download the file that the link tells it to. Just like any link you click will only take you to the page it is directed to.

So you can try right clicking and using the save as option. But if it still comes up as .doc then you know they have a bad link. Could try another browser but unlikely that it will fix the issue.

Went ahead and tried the right-click and save link as:
It came up as .doc still. So went ahead and switched the file-type to all and then added .msi to the end of the file name and it fixed it. Thanks ^_^

Back
Top Bottom