Most annoyin computer trait

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who spend an inordinate amount of time making their desktop look all snazzy with detailed background, icons arranged just so, gadgets, docks, etc... How much time do they spend looking at their desktop? I spend exactly 0% of my time looking at the desktop which is why I have a plain blue background with no icons and no gadgets.

People who have excessive icons on their desktop and use the start menu to launch programs.
I use the Start menu to launch the vast majority of programs. I just press Start, type 'cc', and press enter. That launches CCleaner :) Much quicker than moving the mouse to click on the taskbar or desktop.

On topic:
People who take five times as long to read stuff as me. I've read through a list, found what we're after, and I'm just waiting... waiting... But people get annoyed when you constantly tell them where stuff is instead of finding it themselves :p

And, when you're explaining something to someone, and you precisely state the exact solution, but they still don't get it (looking at you and Minecraft, MoM :p).

I spend exactly 0% of my time looking at the desktop which is why I have a plain blue background with no icons and no gadgets.
Same, though I have a picture of one of my ferrets instead of a plan background :)

and one more.. People who can't call their mouse (or other peripheral) just a mouse... I ask someone what their mouse DPI is set at and they respond with something like "oh, you mean my new logitech darkfield laser wireless technology mouse with active battery saving control, that can go up to 2,000dpi? Oh, yeah, I have it set on 600."
Can't say that one has ever happened to me.

People who are clueless about computers but are using them anyway. I have an aunt that I love dearly who falls into this category, as do quite a few of those that I help through the help desk. It is enough to drive a geek to drink.

Elitists/fanbois. It doesn't matter what the object of it is. This goes for computer hardware, software, peripherals, as well as cars, electronics, etc. I would love to plant a right fist right betwixt their eyes.

People who don't listen. Several others have mentioned this one but it is a real peeve of mine. I don't answer questions/concerns to hear myself talk, but some act as if I do. Sorry, but I happen to know my way around geek territory and it would do these people good to shut up and listen for a change.

Double clicking on buttons/links that don't need to be double clicked.

Exactly! My Mom insists on triple-clicking almost all the stuff she does online. I always say "Mom! You don't need to triple-click on that!". And she says that it doesn't work if she doesn't. I have basically given up on changing her mind.

And there is a lot of other stuff that people do too. One thing I did when on XP was whenever I would just be sitting on the desktop or had just exited out of a program I would always right-click and hit refresh. I don't know why but I only started a year or 2 ago. Also when I am reading any articles or posts I tend to highlight them randomly. That annoys my Mom a lot

People who spend an inordinate amount of time making their desktop look all snazzy with detailed background, icons arranged just so, gadgets, docks, etc... How much time do they spend looking at their desktop? I spend exactly 0% of my time looking at the desktop which is why I have a plain blue background with no icons and no gadgets.

Agree and disagree. I spend a lot of time on my desktop, not all in one hit but flying back and forth between programs, files, windows, workspaces, etc. Temporary files, screenshots, different easy-access storage folders, they're all on my desktop. Detailed background? Yep, what's wrong with something nice to look at when you pause for a second?
I do agree with not going overboard though. I don't care too much about the number of icons or position on my desktop, don't bother with weather gadgets and uber docks. But yeah, I do use my Desktop a lot :D

Agree and disagree. I spend a lot of time on my desktop, not all in one hit but flying back and forth between programs, files, windows, workspaces, etc. Temporary files, screenshots, different easy-access storage folders, they're all on my desktop. Detailed background? Yep, what's wrong with something nice to look at when you pause for a second?
I do agree with not going overboard though. I don't care too much about the number of icons or position on my desktop, don't bother with weather gadgets and uber docks. But yeah, I do use my Desktop a lot :D
Have you ever tried the Desktop toolbar? It allows you to access everything on your desktop without the need to actually go to your desktop. I have temp files, storage folders, etc... on my desktop too. The Desktop toolbar puts a little sideways chevron on the right-hand side of the taskbar, when I click on that chevron, it displays all the stuff on my desktop in menu fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom