Monitor and TV hook up to computer

ROFL_A_PIGGY

In Runtime
I have a geforce gtx 1050 ti and would like to hook up my computer to both my computer monitor (samsung S24D590) and my 4k tv (vizio m65-d0) so that I can watch movies from my computer on my tv. My tv is not a smart tv unfortunately - it has the vizio smartcast (chromecast I think), I wish I had sprung for one.. so I cannot plug an external hard drive into the tv to play movies.

The GPU has 1 dvi, 1 hdmi, and one displayport output. My monitor has hdmi and so does my tv. Is it possible to hook up my computer to both so I don't need to unplug/plug a cord every time I want to switch between my computer monitor and tv?

The GPU should be able to play 4k movies on my tv right?

Thanks.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, , ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
You will need an adapter or an adapter cable but it will work. I have used HDMI to DVI cables before (have a couple in a drawer right now) and they do the job.

ROFL_A_PIGGY

In Runtime
You will need an adapter or an adapter cable but it will work. I have used HDMI to DVI cables before (have a couple in a drawer right now) and they do the job.
Right, I have one of those. Is the quality any different? I'm pretty clueless about that. Will they both support 4k resolution?

ROFL_A_PIGGY

In Runtime
It's al the same signal, I just prefer not to use DVI these days.
Got the tv and computer hooked up :thumbsup:

Probably a stupid question but will the gpu need to do work if my tv is on but on a different input? I had my tv on another input than what the computer is hooked into and my pc recognized the tv as a monitor still. Trying to not make the gpu do work unless I actually want to watch something through the tv.

Also, I think in my thread about my new build you said that my gpu can't handle 4k properly (I asked if I should get a 4k monitor). Could you please elaborate?

I have a 4k tv and I've hooked up my computer to it to watch amazon prime on it, it seemed to be fine (watched Ex Machina last night, LOVED it). I don't plan to game on the tv, but would that be possible?

Thanks.

ROFL_A_PIGGY

In Runtime
What kind of a GPU would run games in 4k nicely? Would it have to be the 1080? Also, there is a huge jump in price (more than double from what I see) even going from 1050 to 1060, what is the reason for that? Is it because of the bitcoin mining thing?