Looking for a decent router, have a few ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkf76

My Swag is on!
I am looking for a router now that I have an XBox 360, swapping ethernet cables is getting pretty old. I currently have cable internet via Comcast and am using a Motorola SB5101 modem. I plan on connecting the 360 via ethernet to whatever router I get cause $100 for a wireless adapter is ridiculous and because it sits pretty close to my computer anyway. I've been doing some reading online and I'm under the impression that I need to get a router that has 100mb bandwidth or better. Is that the case and why? Does my internet connection determine or dictate the actual bandwidth that there would be to dispurse via the router? Does this spec even matter since I'll be using an ethernet cable to connect it?

I know with this planned setup that I could go with a wired router but my son is going to be getting a computer in his room pretty soon so I'd like to prevent from having to buy another router when that time comes. His room is about 30ft from my computer, if that matters.

I've heard the 802.11a is the most secure way to go, but the most expensive too. 802.11g seems to be the most common and 802.11n seems to be the future. That being said, I'd imagine "g" would be the way to go, am I wrong for thinking that? Or should I plan for the "n" revolution? One thing to consider is the fact that i'm not an early adopter of technology.

I've been searching for decent routers and am strongly considering these:

Linksys WRT54G2
D-Link WBR-2310
Linksys WRT54GL
Linksys WRT110
Netgear WGR614
Belkin F5D8231-4

Right now I really want the WRT110 (although the Belkin offering is pretty **** sexy) mainly because it matches everything in my computer setup, piano black w/blue led's. Since I know nothing about the specs or what to look for in these things i'm going purely off looks right now. That is something that is important to me so I'd like to preserve the sexy of my computer as much as possible, but not at the cost of performance unless the discrepancy is so minute that it's irrelevant.

I'd like to keep the cost as reasonable as possible so I'd say $80 would be about as much as I'd like to spend for it but I would consider upping that a bit if neccessary.

I'm under the impression that I need to get a router that has 100mb bandwidth or better. Is that the case and why? Does my internet connection determine or dictate the actual bandwidth that there would be to dispurse via the router? Does this spec even matter since I'll be using an ethernet cable to connect it?

I've heard the 802.11a is the most secure way to go, but the most expensive too. 802.11g seems to be the most common and 802.11n seems to be the future. That being said, I'd imagine "g" would be the way to go, am I wrong for thinking that? Or should I plan for the "n" revolution? One thing to consider is the fact that i'm not an early adopter of technology.
Linksys WRT54G2
D-Link WBR-2310
Linksys WRT54GL
Linksys WRT110
Netgear WGR614
Belkin F5D8231-4

you only need a gigabit router if you have a home network going on with gigabit nic cards. which i assume you don't or you would know you do and wouldn't be askign which router to buy.

a is secure because nobody uses it..g is the most common but if you don't wanna buy another router in the future then buy N now.

you only need a gigabit router if you have a home network going on with gigabit nic cards. which i assume you don't or you would know you do and wouldn't be askign which router to buy.

a is secure because nobody uses it..g is the most common but if you don't wanna buy another router in the future then buy N now.
My NIC is gigabit, I just wasn't sure if the speed of my connection affected the necessary bandwidth of my prospective router. Judging from what you just said though it sounds like I need to base that decision on the bandwidth of my NIC.

The speed of your internet connection will be the limiting factor by far, you dont need to worry about the bandwidth of the internal network if all you do is use the internet. If your sons room is only 30' from the router then you could just use a cable. If you do go with wireless then use g, n is not a proper standard yet (i don't think) and you will not get better security with a - just slower speeds (it's old tech and may not have newer, better security methods)

The speed of your internet connection will be the limiting factor by far, you dont need to worry about the bandwidth of the internal network if all you do is use the internet. If your sons room is only 30' from the router then you could just use a cable. If you do go with wireless then use g, n is not a proper standard yet (i don't think) and you will not get better security with a - just slower speeds (it's old tech and may not have newer, better security methods)
The only wireless transmission is going to be to my son's computer and that's only going to be for internet service and transferring songs from my rig to his. The wired connections are going to be for internet to my rig and XBox Live connectivity for my 360.

I'm not running 30ft or more of ethernet cable through my house, that's just not an option. I guess I'll just get a wireless g router for now as it seems the "n" ratification isn't looming on the horizon.

I'm a sucker for eye candy so the Belkin N1 Vision has my full attention.

Belkin : N1 Wireless Router i have it and me and my mum are regularly on the internet and it is amazing.
Nice suggestion, but I think i'm gonna spring for the N1 Vision cause my g/f is gonna go in on it with me......I sold her on it by telling her she could sync her Zune from our bedroom, she's all for it:D

I'm gonna pick it up from a local store, and make sure to get a series 2000 version cause I heard the horror stories of those with the 1000 series. Wish me luck.

Well guys, I didn't get either of the routers I spoke about in this thread. I ended up getting a TRENDnet TEW-633GR instead mainly due to the overwhelming positive feedback/reviews online. I really was set on the Belkin and the only reason I didn't get it is cause none of the two stores that stocked it had the 2000 series so it was a deal breaker.

I don't regret getting this router at all! The setup was as easy as you could possibly expect, and keep in mind I have never setup a router before this evening. You simply run the installation cd and the wizard walks you through the steps. There were a few reviews saying the installation process would hang if you were doing the setup via the cd but I didn't have that problem.

After getting it setup I got online to find the site that explained all of the features/options of this router so I could learn more about it and tweak the settings if need be, I noticed my home page came up instantly. Hmm. I then clicked on my gmail link to check my email and again, came up instantly. Not sure if I was really seeing what I thought I was seeing I immediately went to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and ran a speed test and this is what I got:

I was beside myself!

This is what my speed was before the router install

I have been going back and forth with Comcast since the 4th because I have a 6mb connection but had been getting speeds similar to that test just posted above no matter what time of day I tested it at. The tech who came out even said it was my computer to blame, he concluded as much by hooking up his laptop and his modem to my line and testing at 23k kbps while my computer with my modem tested at 2k kbps. Realizing that he was an idiot, I had Comcast swap out the modem but my speed stayed the same, maybe he wasn't such an idiot after all.

But after installing the router I haven't gotten anything lower than 23k kbps, the highest being 26k. What gives? I don't understand how this can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom