LAN between XP and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how is it that i can not connect my 2 PC's unless they have the same name? Both running Windows. Even if i change the name of my Vista install it wont connect to the other Vista.

I am not trying to argue. I am just trying to figure out why even the Same OS wont connect if i use a different name. I dont use a domain. Just a cimple connection thru a router.

I never said you didn't know what you were talking about. That never came anywhere near out of my mouth. I am just saying that my experience with XP/Vista tells me that the names being the same works. While that isnt the case when i connect my laptop running Vista to my desktop running Ubuntu.

I know i have my router setup right cause i can connect with the same name. I have the virtual domain off and everything. I am just trying to figure out why it doesn't work for me even when i clearly know that the names matters to me. I am not saying that is the case here nor am i saying anything other than my setup acts this way.

Very interesting. Yea, even with a soho gateway/router setup with a "basic" configuration, you should still be able to get it to work without having the same workgroup name. Logon names and passwords must match between PCs and the normal rules for NTFS and share permissions apply (normal rules meaning the hierarchy between the 2 rule sets, but Full Control with NTFS Permissions and Share Permissions should be a fine test)
Not really sure why it's not working for you, interesting problem worth taking a deeper dive over :)

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If you are trying to copy files over with a minimum of fuss, set one machine up as an ftp server and connect to it using the ip address with the ftp client.

This will bypass all the windows workgroups stuff.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If you are trying to copy files over with a minimum of fuss, set one machine up as an ftp server and connect to it using the ip address with the ftp client.

This will bypass all the windows workgroups stuff.

LOL, Sounds like we are trying to make a REALLY hard solution for something so simple :) LOL entertaining though, indeed :) But, yea, that will work too. To be fair though, I think that I unintentionally derailed the thread! LOL I'm so sorry! I really am :)
I hope that the original posters problem was sort of resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom