Inventorying Software with Customization

texas

Solid State Member
I'm working for an industrial equipment rental company which has a floor filled with hundreds of components which are not inventoried. At the point in time that a job comes in requiring the rental of two machines with x and y capacity, the machines are assembled, using available parts off the floor, and sent out for rent.

I want a program that I can use to inventory all the parts on the floor but, I want to be able to customize it so I can track where each part is at a given time. And, if a part is in a machine, I want a summary of the performance characteristics which will be updated based on the effects of that part being in the machine. So, I want to be able to track components of a machine, in reference to, let's say, the casing, and view performance summaries of the machines we have actually assembled at any given time, given the current components within a given machine. The characteristics of the machines change based on the motors, which can be swapped out, the gears, which can be changed...etc.

I'm only sort of computer literate. So, I have a few ways in which I could accomplish what I want here but, my gut tells me those would probably not be the "RIGHT" way to accomplish what I want. I understand that there are programs and specific languages better suited for certain purposes but, I operate in C/C++ and Visual Basic and, that's pretty much it.

I've looked at inventorying software, briefly. Could I add a third-party customized program to an inventorying software to accomplish this? Is there a program that will accomplish this without customization? What would be the best way to approach this?

I'm pretty ignorant of what's out there so, I appreciate any suggestions or thoughts.
-Thanks

Respectfully,
M.

Back
Top Bottom