If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, that last line is signature worthy.

Anyways, youre right, SOME is the key, some do not work at all, I got countrstrike source working well, but still not as well as it did on my windows installation (54 FPS vs 117).

And I do think that it would be great for schools, but you're right, I switched back to Windows XP because I did not want to deal with all the work arounds to get my games to work. It is free, and very user friendly (as long as you arent trying to modify or install anything), so would definitey be good for large organizations.

Yeah, Im putting that line in my signature.

Yeah, he said it's great for the HS, because he can practically lock it down, and the kids can't use the same old XP tricks lol.

Maybe the line should have been "Linux Air is simple, yet nearly all flights are multiple stops" :p

BennyV04988 said:
How can you say it is the game's fault, when XP does it just fine?

Let me spoon feed you and explain this anaolgy so you don't get it mixed up:

Car = game
Fuel = operating system

Imagine a car that runs on diesel fuel. It's motor is designed to be used with diesel. It has glow plugs instead of spark plugs, among other differences.

The car is not designed to be used with gasoline. The cat cannot run with gasoline. It is not because gasoline is an inferior fuel, it's because the motor just isn't designed to work with gasoline.

It is not the fuel's inadequacy that causes the car not to work with it. It's the car's inability to use gasoline.

In the same sense, a game is designed to work with Windows. Windows is not designed to work with it. So, to say that Linux is not compatible with games is a lie. Linux has 3D graphics, sound and mouse/keyboard input. It works just fine with games. Doom 3, Quake 4, UT2k4 to name a few that run in Linux NATIVELY.

It's because the game developers use proprietary graphics, sound and human input libraries that makes it hard to run them in Linux.

It's also because of those things that makes them hard to work in Mac OS X.

If I really need to explain this any further, then you really have serious problems in understanding how a computer functions and how applications work, because this is a VERY easy concept to grasp.

It's like I have to talk to you like people talk to natives in movies.

GAME MADE FOR WINDOWS.

WINDOWS RUN GAME.

GAME NOT MAKE FOR LINUX.

LINUX NOT RUN GAME.

WINDOWS NOT MADE FOR GAME, GAME MADE FOR WINDOWS.

BennyV04988 said:
EDIT: oh wait... MS made DX...hmmm...Overwhelming majority of OS's = MS... game comps probably like $$$.... hmmm

Cool, you understand that the only reason M$ did it is for money. +1 for you.

BennyV04988 said:
Look, linux is great... I didn't mean to crush you as a person when I joked around with how it has compatability issues. I don't care whose fault it is...

Ok.

BennyV04988 said:
it doesn't reliably work with certain programs.

NO. CERTAIN PROGRAMS DON'T RELIABLY WORK WITH IT.

BennyV04988 said:
So CHILL OUT man. It was a VALID joke. Don't cry about it dude, grow some.

No, it was a stupid joke that no one thinks is funny. It was poorly executed, followed by a double post, and scoffed at by me.

The General said:

GAME MADE FOR WINDOWS.

WINDOWS RUN GAME.

GAME NOT MAKE FOR LINUX.

LINUX NOT RUN GAME.

WINDOWS NOT MADE FOR GAME, GAME MADE FOR WINDOWS.

No, it was a stupid joke that no one thinks is funny. It was poorly executed, followed by a double post, and scoffed at by me.

Dude... the games are going to be made using DIRECTX (DX10 = VERY easy to make game = good for game comps)

LINUX + POPULAR GAMES = NO WORK

Why on earth would game companies make it harder on themselves and appeal to that tiny sliver of the industry?

THEY WOULDN'T

SO: MS = EASY, MAJORITY + EASY = $$$$$

So its the games that don't want to get along with Linux. Big woop... why SHOULD they?

They shouldn't... hmmm. I'm seeing a pattern.

So... WHY is Linux so great again?

I mean, sure, its not its fault that no one likes to play with him, but in the PC world, you use the PROGRAMs, not the OS itself. OS's have to play the field, they have to make THEMSELVES compatable.

PS - Check yourself into a mental hospital, because you really take life too seriously.

The General said:

Nope... Either way... They don't work with each other, and its the OS responsibility to make sure they can play the field.

Game comps have no reason to uproot their entire industry to appeal to <5% of gamers who like linux.

So were back to Linux and games not getting along = Linux < XP

EDIT: I win...

BennyV04988 said:
Nope... Either way... They don't get along, and they have no reason to change.

So were back to Linux and games not getting along = Linux < XP

I'm not arguing with you Linux vs. Windows.

All I was trying to do was get you to realize that it's the games that don't work in Linux, and not the other way around.

And I did that, so that means I have accomplished my task, and I win.

You can continue with this Windows/Linux/Mac argument all by yourself if you like...

EDIT: What did you win? I don't see anything that I was arguing that you beat. All you did was concede that I was right about it, then go off on some childish frantic defensive rant about something I don't care about.

The General said:
I'm not arguing with you Linux vs. Windows.

All I was trying to do was get you to realize that it's the games that don't work in Linux, and not the other way around.

And I did that, so that means I have accomplished my task, and I win.

You can continue with this Windows/Linux/Mac argument all by yourself if you like...

Well then yes you have achieved your task. On the tech level, it is the games that are incompatable.

On the industry level though, it's Linux's fault that games don't work with it.

No, you don't get to half-win. I won the whole thing, I beat you 100%.

None of this "making crap up at the last minute" thing to try and get back your dignity. I have all of it, it's mine. I win, you lose. That's all there is to it.

There's no "industry level" or any of that nonsense, it's just technical, and it's just me, and I won. Get over it.

The General said:
No, you don't get to half-win. I won the whole thing, I beat you 100%.

None of this "making crap up at the last minute" thing to try and get back your dignity. I have all of it, it's mine. I win, you lose. That's all there is to it.

There's no "industry level" or any of that nonsense, it's just technical, and it's just me, and I won. Get over it.

Industry level = popularity, favorability, consumer ease, profit, sales, marketing, etc.

How does that not exist?

My arguement : Linux and games don't well work together

Your arguement : It's the games fault

I win... you win... both statements are correct, we just were argueing two different things, typical internet symptom! :p

but okay, if you have the need to feel like you crushed me, then you go right ahead. You're seriousness on this matter is laughable.

I COULDN"T care less = I could not possibly care less. Winning an arguement that wasn't even there doesn't make my day, sorry. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom