i got a big subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahaha....i wanna make a 33hz gun....then have some fun in the mall :D (evil laugh)(muhahaha)

EricB said:
You hundred year old people kill me. Just because you listen to mono music that went down to 300 Hz for most of your life. You try to dissed something that you know nothing about.

I knew an old geezer like you who used to be my friend until he dissed my setup. at the time I had an Adcom preamp, an Acurus 200x3 amp, an Adcom 555 II (rated 200x2 but did 288x2 into 8ohm, 1800 x1 into 2ohms bridged) and a NAD 2200 100X2 (it powered my sub which incidentally, I happen to have for 12 years. the NAD's power capped out to 1800 watt momentarily as it had a low power and a high power power supply which made it super efficient and super powerful) they went to some Thiel cs3.5 or paradigm 11semk3

Anyway, because he didn't use a sub. He dissed my setup. He obviously was going by the 1920 rules like you.

before I got mad and had chosen never to speaker to him again (that night after I thought about), I took him over to my friend (an old man) house in Dublin, Ohio who had some B&W 801 hooked to an Adcom 555 II. His other Adcom 555 II was hooked to an EV EVX-180B which was hooked to a 93 cubic ft enclosure (it was integrated into his steps) and had him explain about the essentials of having a sub

OK old man, it called AC-3 (DVD movies) and deeper music. We not that old phonogragh that you had doesnÂ’t go that low. The in room -3 down point of my sub is 17 hertz. When they play the 10 Hz note in the Godzilla movies that they made a few years ago, I want to feel it. I also want to enjoy the entire note (5hz) in 1812 overture when the cannons go off (I know when you were born, back when the song first came out, you had to go to a live performance to hear the dynamic detail of the song. I can get the sound in my living room). I sold most of my amps because I can't afford to pay for my old and outrageous Electric bill like I could before the republicans took over, but I still have my speakers

First off, I'm 19.

Secondly, I'm very good friends with Jan Hammer's son (The guy who wrote the Miami Vice theme song, Mahavishnu Orchestra, toured with Jeff Beck, etc.). His studio is all state of the art stuff, and know what? No subs.

Music just isn't mixed for use with subs. Yes, some music is, but the majority of it is simply mixed on stereo monitors, computer speakers, stock car speakers, etc. Stuff that the average consumer will listen to music on.

Not subs. It's very simple. The standard woofers will cover any bass notes that a bass guitar or upright will put out with ease.

Movies, and music mixed to be used with a sub---yeah, sub it all the way. But, for the most part they will throw off the tonal balance for most music. I tried a sub in my setup about two years ago, and I hated it.

also, I'm not dissing your setup, I just don't see the point in having one when music isn't mixed for it. That's all.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA MUSIC ISNT MIXED FOR SUBS??!!?!??! NO KIDDING!!!!

i think i may poop my pants...thats hilarious. I'm training recording/sound engineer... i work in a studio all the time. No subs. You know why? No need for em. The "speakers" we use are extremely high quality and dont need a sub.

You obviously dont know the use of subwoofers. No its not to make your chest pound or make the floor thump as most teenagers think they are for. I'll be 18 next month, so i'm not some old guy ranting either

To put it simply, subs are used so that they will handle the low freq's (normally below 300hz) so that you dont freakin blow out the speakers that can't handle those frequencies. Subwoofers are designed to REALLY focus on the low frequencies, leaving other speakers to show their power in other places (mids and highs) and letting the subs take care of the lows.

Recording studios normally have HIGH END "reference monitors" which are designed to produce the clearest sound possible so that the mix comes out correctly after mastering. They dont need subs because the monitors are good enough to handle all frequencies between AND including 20hz-20,000khz, which is the human range of hearing.

Not subs. It's very simple. The standard woofers will cover any bass notes that a bass guitar or upright will put out with ease.

That is wrong. standard WOOFERS will normally only cover around 75hz and above. SUB-woofers handle 20hz and above. Get your facts straight... get your speakers straight too.

People have the WRONG idea of what subwoofers are... they were never meant to be shoved in the trunk of a 4 banger car.

EricB: the mic is yours now. Have fun.

EDIT: My professor is Paul Hamann. One of the greatest recording engineers alive. He built his mixing board by HAND.. EVERY SINGLE PIECE. It was like the second mixer in the world to have dolby quad sound mixing abilities ever made. His studio is 15 minutes from my house. SUMA Recording Studio. Just to name a few of his clients... whitney houston, grand funk railroad, michael stanley, lenny kravitz... To prove it, goto grand funk railroads website and look at their recording history. Most of them were either recorded by Ken Hamann ( my professor's dad) or Paul Hamann.

I know people too... :p

Crysalis said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA MUSIC ISNT MIXED FOR SUBS??!!?!??! NO KIDDING!!!!

i think i may poop my pants...thats hilarious. I'm training recording/sound engineer... i work in a studio all the time. No subs. You know why? No need for em. The "speakers" we use are extremely high quality and dont need a sub.

You obviously dont know the use of subwoofers. No its not to make your chest pound or make the floor thump as most teenagers think they are for. I'll be 18 next month, so i'm not some old guy ranting either

To put it simply, subs are used so that they will handle the low freq's (normally below 300hz) so that you dont freakin blow out the speakers that can't handle those frequencies. Subwoofers are designed to REALLY focus on the low frequencies, leaving other speakers to show their power in other places (mids and highs) and letting the subs take care of the lows.

Recording studios normally have HIGH END "reference monitors" which are designed to produce the clearest sound possible so that the mix comes out correctly after mastering. They dont need subs because the monitors are good enough to handle all frequencies between AND including 20hz-20,000khz, which is the human range of hearing.

That is wrong. standard WOOFERS will normally only cover around 75hz and above. SUB-woofers handle 20hz and above. Get your facts straight... get your speakers straight too.

People have the WRONG idea of what subwoofers are... they were never meant to be shoved in the trunk of a 4 banger car.

EricB: the mic is yours now. Have fun.

EDIT: My professor is Paul Hamann. One of the greatest recording engineers alive. He built his mixing board by HAND.. EVERY SINGLE PIECE. It was like the second mixer in the world to have dolby quad sound mixing abilities ever made. His studio is 15 minutes from my house. SUMA Recording Studio. Just to name a few of his clients... whitney houston, grand funk railroad, michael stanley, lenny kravitz... To prove it, goto grand funk railroads website and look at their recording history. Most of them were either recorded by Ken Hamann ( my professor's dad) or Paul Hamann.

I know people too... :p

Crysalis

for some reason you and southern lady can always explain it a little better than I can. I don't think anything else need to be said.

Eagleboy said:
also, I'm not dissing your setup, I just don't see the point in having one when music isn't mixed for it. That's all.

If you hadn't noticed, I'd still haven't gotten over his statement (he made it like 7-8 years ago). We were real good friends up to that point. I never said anything bad about his setup, even though you knew that he was playing high end.

you see, he always had nice equipment, but he never knew how to properly set things up. he usually got something because somebody else had talk it up. I'm 35 now. I was about 27 then, he was more like 50 something then. I've have been tweaking audio since I was like 6-7 (I made cardboard boxes for some 15 inch woofer and some horns, that I got my hands on)

I once sold him a nakamichi dragon for $800.00, ($2,800.00 list price twelve years ago, which I miracously got for $50.00 from a pawn shop which has just got a new owner and he obviously didn't know much about audio) which had become expendable, when I bought my first cd recorder (A pioneer unit which costs $1,500.00).

NakamichiDragon.jpg

He couldn't configure The Dragon (the best cassette deck ever made). he didn't know what biasing a casstte meant, and he knew nothing about recording with Dolby (Dolby B,C or S. only the absolutely best cassette decks had Dolby S )

EricB there's something that seems strange to me in your pictures. You have a couch blocking the right front speaker and your sub looks like it shouldn't be that close to your left speaker. The cramped space looks like it might be suffocating your sub. Because from what I can tell the air rushing out of your bass port is obstructed by that left front speaker. I'm also really amazed your picture frames and cd collection hasn't fallen off. 17 hertz, I have no idea what that sounds like. Can I come over and watch a movie with you sometime? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom