Filtering out duplicate files

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
I want to go through my dedicated 'media drive' with all my music and videos. Now I know I have some duplicates of a lot of files. I have over 20k files... short of going through each and everyone of them (There are also sub folders upon sub folders) is there a way to search to find duplicate files so I can delete them and free up space? Freeware if possible, or a reasonably priced program <$20 or so.

I loathe iTunes. I got rid of my iPhone because I hated it.... no amount of "Oh it's great, I've never had issues with it" will ever get me back to using iTunes... Ever. I was looking more along the lines if there are any Win 7 tricks and/or freeware programs that could do that for me. Thanks anyway for the advice.

Actually the first link on that URL did the trick. Hopefully i's not chalked full of malware that my monitors didn't check.

Holy shnikes.... With this duplicate finder program I have removed over 26.5 GB of duplicated files from my tower. I about crapped a brick with all the space I've been wasting.

Now this will make life much easeir managing my media into files.

Just for ****s and giggles I scanned the rest and I found even more files that were dups. I am one happy camper. I've freed up so much space!

Auslogics Duplicate File Finder. It even lets you back it up in case you fudge and mess something up you need, Excellent program.... thanks KSod

The site I linked to scans the programs. It is brought to us by BetaNews which makes sure that all programs are malware free before hosting them. So U wouldn't have recommended it without knowing such information up front. Sorry that I didnt post that before. But I know that site is free of such things as I have used it for various programs that I use daily.

totally off topic, but...

have you tried Winamp, MediaMonkey, foobar2000 or SongBird?

I exclusivity use Winamp solely as a music player (and songbird when I'm feeling frisky). I'm old school, I'd rather mess with my files manually. But hey, to each his own right?

My goal was to find files that are exact duplicates of other files, thus taking up double the space. I wanted to get rid of them. The one program KSoD link did the trick. Not only did it look for music, but it looked for other no MP3 files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom