Favorite Game ever?

Best game ever? psh don't be a twat. One cannot say that one game is the best ever made.. because that would include things like comparing Soul Calibur to Zelda and Half-Life.

So...

First Person Shooters: Half-Life series
Shoot 'em ups: Ikaruga
Action/Adventure: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Fighting: Soul Calibur
Real Time Strategy: Starcraft
Turn Based RPGs: Final Fantasy VII

Theres more, can't think of them now.

So why these? well, lets think about it.

Half-Life held the Hallmark of putting you in the first person perspective and never, ever taking you from it. You are Gordon Freeman, regardless of that level ending. You don't just pop into a menu with statistics or anything like that. You are there. And I think that is a very powerful thing.

Ikaruga took polarity to a new level. You can absorb like colors but you area always vulnerable to opposites. Sounds like a gimmick at first, but it is quite innovative.

Ocarina of time is ocarina of time. If you have played (and beaten) ocarina of time, there really is nothing to say here.

Soul Calibur was released in 1999. And honestly, I still can't think of anything that has come out in the past 7 years that stacks up to it other than it's successors 2 and 3. Unfortunately that is because 2 and 3 are the same damn game. Sure, change a few moves here and there and make the game really pretty, but in the end it's the same (great, mind you) game with the same animations (literally, they were recycled) as the first. It's not to say that this is bad, but there is such thing as playing it too safe.
Personally I play 2 on the xbox for it's 720p HD support.

Starcraft took the formula of Warcraft 2 and mixed it up a bit. No longer were the differences between races solely cosmetic, but now they seriously played different. At the same time, things remained relatively balanced. A game of starcraft can be finished up in about 15 minutes. The same is almost impossible for others such as Warcraft 3.
Starcraft is without doubt the most fun i've had with RTS.

Final Fantasy VII I will admit is not the best in the series. VIII and IX are better, but I still love VII.
Why? because it got me into these kind of games. It wasn't super hard and complex. It didn't require too much thinking like I thought these games would.
It's a great stepping stone, as it was the first game of it's kind to do many of the things it does. Looking back the flaws are more apparent,
which is why most people are so critical to it's fame.
But being critical of FF7 for it's flaws is the same as being critical of Doom 1 or 2 for it's flaws.

Back
Top Bottom