Connect MiFi Dongle T Hotel WiFi & Share???

Witterings

Solid State Member
I'm have one of the ee wifi dongles like this
Buy EE 4GEE Mini Pay Monthly Mobile WiFi | Free Delivery | Currys

But like at the moment I'm in hospital and there's no mobile signal, I can connect to the hospital wifi on my laptop but they charge per device and I'd also like to be able to use my phone to make voip call over the internet.

Is there any way I can use my dongle to connect to the hospital wifi and then both the laptop and phone connect to the dongle, this would be great for my current circumstances but also if ever I 'm away and the hotel charges per connection ... I could use the dongle to connect to their wifi then the ;atop, phone and the kids devices to the dongle.

If anyone knows if and if so how this can be done and could share would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Alternatively of this device can't do it, for the future, is there something else that does, in a perfect world I'd like it to be able to run on batteries, preferably with a slot for a sim although don't mind using a separate dongle for 3/4g ans the least important of it could plug in via ethernet and share although that's far less important than being able to connect to and share a wifi connection.

Any help / suggestions much appreciated!!!

strollin hi,
cheers for that, it's what I have done for now and is working with one just called wifi hotspot.

I saw some reports saying it can out quite a bit of strain on a network card / cause them to burn out so whilst I'm managing the amount of use it's getting if we're away and it's me, the mrs and 2 kids logged onto, my laptop on holiday is critical as I'm self employed and don't want to do anything that could possibly damage it so really looking for a better long term solution and something that in an ideal world would just leave plugged in and after having set the initial pass code not have to switch the laptop on unless necessary.

Thanks for your input though!!!!

strollin hi,
cheers for that, it's what I have done for now and is working with one just called wifi hotspot.

I saw some reports saying it can out quite a bit of strain on a network card / cause them to burn out so whilst I'm managing the amount of use it's getting if we're away and it's me, the mrs and 2 kids logged onto, my laptop on holiday is critical as I'm self employed and don't want to do anything that could possibly damage it so really looking for a better long term solution and something that in an ideal world would just leave plugged in and after having set the initial pass code not have to switch the laptop on unless necessary.

Thanks for your input though!!!!
I'm not aware of this physically damaging any equipment. Can you post any links to where you read that?

I'm not aware of this physically damaging any equipment. Can you post any links to where you read that?

I went through so many pages trying to find a resolution ... trying to actually find it again would be like looking for a needle in a haystack ... I just clearly remember seeing it and it made me think proceed ...... with caution ... if that makes sense.

Nobody any input though on if I can get my ee dongle to do it instead or suggestions of anything else that ticks the boxes????

Not unless the EE Dongle can connect to a wifi network and go into a repeater/AP mode.

If not, then you'll either just have to use your laptop as an ad-hoc repeater or get a router and connect it to the wifi then repeat the signal/your own network.

Still been looking at this and trying to find something that will "do the job".

I was looking at some of the TP Link products like the 3020 / 3040 but I still don't think they'll do what I'm hoping to achieve.
There's a link here on "which mode to choose"
How to choose the right working mode for the TL-MR3020 and TL-MR3040? - TP-Link

The scenario that best suits my purpose is probably the repeater mode with set up instructions here
How to Configure the Repeater Mode on the TL-MR3020 and TL-MR3040 - TP-Link

This is pretty simple and could easily do at home .... identify the router I want to connect to and then just put in the associated password .... "simples" as a well know TV advert would say.
BUT ... and please correct me if I'm wrong .... a hotel doesn't just ask for a password but when you open a web browser it then asks you to put in a password AND username which this and most similar devices don't seem to have provision for so you can't connect the device itself to then share the connection or have I totally missed something???????

Back
Top Bottom