Computer Security (Machine ID)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwright

Baseband Member
Hello

I have various online bookmaker accounts as I like to make a bet every now and then. Problem is, other members of my family also hold accounts and like to make bets and we all use the same computer. Some online bookmakers don't seem to like two people (whether they are from the same family or not) using 1 computer to access their different accounts.

They say that it breaches their security policy. Although, many staff members that I have spoken to believe that the computer system is being over cautious, but their is nothing they can do about it as that is what the company security system has been designed to do.

My question is: How can I overcome this security check which seems to be tracking some form of ID from my computer to be able to recognise that the same computer is being used for different accounts?

I know that it is not an IP address that it is recognising because my IP address is Dynamic and I change it with every 'log in'

I have noticed that some bookmakers refer to it as a 'Machine ID' that has been logged. What is this Machine ID? Is it the ID or my Network Card or some other form of ID that a computer can be recognised by? Would partitioning my hard drive help to solve the problem?

If any one is able to help and maybe provide me with some ideas on how to disquise or change this ID at will, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

dwright

Sounds like either a cookie or they have logged your MAC address. Sounds like a rather harsh policy to me though. Unless they suspect fraud.

Thanks for your help. Tracking Cookies seems like a logical explanation for website based bookmakers.

I forgot to mention another scenario which I have also struggled to get around. I will run this by you so that you can get an idea of the overall picture.

There are situations where the company issues software for me to download and use on my computer. When I use downloaded software I can log in to the software in one name only. It won't allow another family member to then log in.

To get around this problem I have tried uninstalling the software completely, then reinstalling and then allowing other family members to sign in. This does not work as the software seems to remember the original account name to download the software and log in, and doesnÂ’t let another account sign in.

I am guessing that when the software is installed, it saves account details onto the Registry and these details aren't cleared when you uninstall. Or maybe it is recognizing the ID of the computer through the MAC Address?

Might any of these be the case, and how could they be overcome? Would creating separate partitions on my hard drive and installing a separate Operating System for each partition solve these problems? This may solve the Tracking Cookie problem as well without having to instead delete cookies each time? I can't see that having separate partitions would hide the MAC Address, but I'd be very interested to hear what anyone has to say on these topics. Thanks in advance.

dwright

P.S. One thing I do know it that in the past when we had 2 working computers in the house we didn't have any problems as one account uses one computer and the other account uses the other computer. Both computers are obviously separate entities and we have a Dynamic IP address so there is no conflict of ID. Basically, if creating separate partitions on my computer and installing individual OP's on these partitions, in effect creates multiple computers, I would choose this route to prevent any unexpected conflicts of ID. Thanks again.

Dynamic IP address
You have a dynamic IP ? do you have broadband ? or dial up ? do you just have a broadband modem ? do you have a router ?
if you have a router , you can go into the router and see the wan ip. B4 each user cycle the modem or the router ( unplug or what ever) make sure you get a different ip from your isp, then
click start
click run
type inetcpl.cpl
hit enter
depending on if you have ie 6 or 7 , delete all your cookies and offline files
then try the gambling site ?

...also another angle is that they may have spyware on your pc. Axtually a spyware scan will usualy detect offshore gambling software as spyware.

Thanks for everyones help.

I have:

- a Dynamic IP
- Broadband
- a Router

As I have a router and a Dynamic IP Address I don't have any problems there. I change the IP all the time to prevent detection.

I run Spyware Detection Software regularly as well and it doesn't pick up any spyware from these companies as far I know.

My main problem is finding a solution to be able to install multiple versions of the downloadable software onto my computer so that various people can sign in with their individual accounts. I have been considering partitioning the hard drive and installing an OS on each partition to be able to put the software on each.

People have also suggested using 'Virtual PC' to install multiple OS's without partitioning (partitioning can apparently can cause problems). This option seems like the ideal one, if installing multiple OS's is enough to make the computer function as if it were multiple PC's; ie with all files and cookies stored on each operating system. If cookies aren't stored in separate locations then I imagine I will have the same problem as before with different users not being able to log in to the software.

Anyone have any further thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

dwright

Are all users in the Administrators group or are some just in the users group? Perhaps this is a permissions issue.

Does each user LOG ON to windows or does everyone use the same user id ? I think every user has their own cookies.

If you have seperate log on user ID's, you might try making each users id private. Also b4 each user logs on, cycle your router to get a new ip from your isp and delete the cookies. If each useer has their own id did you have to install the softwae for each id or was it their automatically ? I think it is their software and a windows VM may not even work. I read somewhere that in the case of online poker if the cassino suspects that you have a way of knowing the other person or person's hand they will kick you out. I think there is or was software tht would tell you the hands of the other ppl you were playing on line poker with. So the software may install itself into the registry as global for the whole machine. Maybe one of those HD caddies, where from the front of the pc you can swap out the hd, each with a new install of xp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom