Cheap harddrives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trotter said:
Correct, as Vybuni said.

Personally, I hope Seagate is able to address the reliability issues that have shadowed Maxtor. Most of what people think of them comes from their older drives, which were really bad. The more recent stuff has been better, but they still haven't acheived the level of reliability as WD or Seagate drives.

Maxtor got a bad reputation thanks to their 5.25 inch ultra el cheapo drive in the mid 1990's. I forget what it was called...
But for now I would say all hard drives are on par with each other.
If somebody can prove me wrong that would be great.

My friend has 2 or 3 dead maxtors waiting to be RMA'd.

I've seen it published before. Seagate had the highest success of like 98% of drives being sent out are fine and the remaining two percent are failures. WD trailed behind them barely, and maxtor was behind both of them.

It's not just from what people here say, so you dang maxtor people need to chill out.

It's just like XFX's cards. There were a LOT of bad cards being sent out during the release of the 6xxx series. Yet the couple people who had ones said the same crap.

"Ehhh, mine works, ehhh you guys dont know anything" yet if you'd search the forums and see what card comes up the most as having problems, you'd see it was XFX, same thing applies with maxtors hard drives.

They have a higher failure rate than the others. Personally I like WD the best.

This isn't a publication on all the HD manufacturers and their failure rate, it's about seagate buying out maxtor, however read the comments below. There are diehard maxtor fans and seagate fans, and WD fans, etc...etc..., but if you read the comments you'll see maxtor come up the most as far as bad drives.

Also, heres something worth noting from this website:

http://www.avault.com/hardware/getreview.asp?review=YellowMachP400t

While companies do not publish their failure rate publicly, one way to judge a hard drive company is by how long they warranty a product for. Seagate carries one of the longest warranties of all hard drive manufactures, 5 years on most products.

so as you can see, basically all you can go by is word of mouth.

So for all you "SHOW ME PROOF ::WHINE WHINE WHINE::" people, blame it on the companies not making the failure rates publicly known and accept the freakin fact that maxtors do infact have the highest failure rate among seagate and WD

Funny as how every sinlge WD drive ive had or any of my friends had died on them and all i get from them and my family members is how great their Maxtor drives are. Even the WD drive in my old Xbox died on me. Funny thing is, we have only had ONE Maxtor die on us and that sbecause my mom let it drop from the roof of her car onto concrete. It still worked though but only read as 8gig and you couldnt write to it. Other than that we have from 300gig HDs down to 20meg HDs that still work and are all Maxtor. A HD and which ever brand you like is your own preference. I still have dead WDs in my room that i havent trashed yet so id rather keep away from WDs.

Funny as how every sinlge WD drive ive had or any of my friends had died on them and all i get from them and my family members is how great their Maxtor drives are.
yeah freakin right dude. Give me a break. I swear you've got a story for anything and everything that happens on these forums.

100% of every WD you've EVER gotten has died including one in the XBOX.......please. I've never heard of such crap in regards to one brand from anyone.

I've got friends who prefer seagate who've had a couple of WD's fail on them, but not 100% of them. Likewise for people who own WD and had a couple seagates fail on them. Ask gaara, his seagate failed on him. Likewise I've also known people with both seagate, and WD, and had maxtor fail on them. Theres all kinds of combinations, but I find it pretty dang hard to believe that "EVERY SINGLE LAST HARD DRIVE" that was made by WD has died on not only you, but everyone you know. Oh, but beyond that they all just rant and rave to you about how much they love their maxtors.....right.

Regardless, the fact remains that maxtor has had the highest failure rate. The fact they got bought out suggests that their sales weren't doing too dang good.......gee, wonder why.

I've never had a WD fail on me, I've never had a seagate fail on me, guess I'm just lucky. But the people I've known who have owned maxtors, have had them fail on them. As I've said, I've got a friend with 2 or 3 sitting at home waiting to be RMA'd.

I know that same friend has also had both seagate and WD fail on him, for a combined total of all 3 companies failing on him, but guess which one failed the most? Maxtor...........

BillGates said:
Yeah I guess real world reliability doesn't matter. All that matters is what the members here at TF think. If they say its crap, then its crap, no questions asked.

How's this?

Can we spell HARPER boys & girls?
C-L-O-S-E-D M-I-N-D-E-D
Harper works at a comuter store repairing computers. I'm sure he's replaced enough hard drives to make some statistics.

I think Maxtor bought Quantum (another hard drive brand) whose drives had a terrible rate of failure (specifically, their Fireball drives. I had one which died)
and after the merge, Maxtor's quality dropped because they used some of Quantum's stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom