Feedback on What To Get For New Build/Upgrade?

Ascendant

Baseband Member
Considering building myself a new computer while using some of the components of my current one. To cover the info about what I’m looking for:

- My priority would be one that is optimal for gaming. Secondary use would be for video editing for YouTube content.

- As far as my budget, I’m hoping to try to keep it under $700. This is considering that I will not need any new monitors, hoping to use my current hard drives (assuming they will be compatible with all my new components), and will use whatever other components will be compatible with my upgrades that won’t be a bottleneck to the new system. While I don’t want to go too overboard on my spending, at the same time, I want an upgrade that is solid enough to be significant compared to what I have now and should last quite a while.

- Building in the US and I typically use Newegg.

- I personally prefer AMD and nVidia.

- I don’t plan to overclock.

- I currently run dual monitors. Primary resolution is 1920 x 1080, secondary monitor is 1360 x 768.

- This is something I plan to build and use within the next few weeks.

Here is my current PC:

Case - XION II XON-101
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU – AMD FX-4350 Vishera Quad-Core 4.2GHz Socket AM3+ 125W FD4350FRHXBOX
Ram - G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C10D-16GSR
Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 950 DirectX 12 02G-P4-1950-KR 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support
Hard Drive – Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Backup Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
PSU - EVGA 100-B1-0700-K1 700W SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply

At the time when I built it, it was top of the line. So, as I’m sure you could imagine, I built this thing quite a while back. The most recent upgrade was my CPU and PSU.

Surprisingly, I have been able to play pretty new games at max graphics running very smooth. Like I have Doom 2016 maxed out on everything and it runs very smooth. But, I would like my computer to run faster when it comes to software, loading, etc, while still being solid for gaming for years to come.

I saw there are newer sockets and such, so wanted to get feedback on thoughts on what would be good to go for that would be a solid upgrade/new build, while staying within my budget?

At the time when I built it, it was top of the line.
Hate to be that guy, but not really.

Going to be damn near impossible right now with the scalpers, botters, miners, and serious stock shortage due to all the above + Covid. Due to the unfortunate use of an FX CPU, you'll have to basically replace everything. In a perfect world I'd say get a Ryzen 3600x, B550 board, 16GB of DDR4, a 1TB SSD, then hold on to the rest of your budget for an RTX 3050ti or whatever they release coming up. Would run circles around what you got and all you'd really need anytime later is a new GPU.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't even considering shortages due to covid. So then are a lot of things harder to find on Newegg these days, or just higher prices? From what you wrote there, seems like a lot of it might be hard to find and would be better to wait a while for things to go back to normal. I appreciate the info.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't even considering shortages due to covid. So then are a lot of things harder to find on Newegg these days, or just higher prices? From what you wrote there, seems like a lot of it might be hard to find and would be better to wait a while for things to go back to normal. I appreciate the info.
Covid caused manufacturing raw material shortages, which then translated to a small amount of stock for the newer products released Q3 and Q4 of last year. Then when they dropped, scalpers and botters consumed ALL of the AMD/Nvidia and console releases causing the industry to basically collapse. These combined efforts have made it almost impossible to find reasonably priced new gear that even stretches back to midrange cards from 3 years ago. THEN (I know, it gets worse) the Trump tariff exemptions expired causing PC hardware prices to climb earlier this month. Some manufacturers (like Asus and MSI) used this as an excuse to not only raise their prices to compensate for taxes, but also raise them further to try and get the same kind of profit margins that scalpers are getting. It is an incredibly terrible time to try and upgrade or build a new rig.

Covid caused manufacturing raw material shortages, which then translated to a small amount of stock for the newer products released Q3 and Q4 of last year. Then when they dropped, scalpers and botters consumed ALL of the AMD/Nvidia and console releases causing the industry to basically collapse. These combined efforts have made it almost impossible to find reasonably priced new gear that even stretches back to midrange cards from 3 years ago. THEN (I know, it gets worse) the Trump tariff exemptions expired causing PC hardware prices to climb earlier this month. Some manufacturers (like Asus and MSI) used this as an excuse to not only raise their prices to compensate for taxes, but also raise them further to try and get the same kind of profit margins that scalpers are getting. It is an incredibly terrible time to try and upgrade or build a new rig
TBH i never touch anything from MSI, some of the people down in marketing are pretty stupid, I saw a MSI 3060ti going for $1200 from amazon and they had a few in stock.

Covid caused manufacturing raw material shortages, which then translated to a small amount of stock for the newer products released Q3 and Q4 of last year. Then when they dropped, scalpers and botters consumed ALL of the AMD/Nvidia and console releases causing the industry to basically collapse. These combined efforts have made it almost impossible to find reasonably priced new gear that even stretches back to midrange cards from 3 years ago. THEN (I know, it gets worse) the Trump tariff exemptions expired causing PC hardware prices to climb earlier this month. Some manufacturers (like Asus and MSI) used this as an excuse to not only raise their prices to compensate for taxes, but also raise them further to try and get the same kind of profit margins that scalpers are getting. It is an incredibly terrible time to try and upgrade or build a new rig.
Wow, that's just horrible. It really is disgusting that people exploited the situation like that. I'm definitely going to wait a while then before I get one. While I'd love to make a new build, I don't see a point if I'm going to get gouged currently. More than willing to wait. Hoping things will start to get back to normal with it within the next 6-12mos, but I guess time will tell. Thanks again for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

Wow, that's just horrible. It really is disgusting that people exploited the situation like that. I'm definitely going to wait a while then before I get one. While I'd love to make a new build, I don't see a point if I'm going to get gouged currently. More than willing to wait. Hoping things will start to get back to normal with it within the next 6-12mos, but I guess time will tell. Thanks again for your feedback, I really appreciate it!
Well I have a feeling even if the Biden admin repeals the trade war with China it might not be until the next gen that we'll see things settle. It's probably going to take the full year just to get stock to a point where scalpers receive little to no profit.

TBH i never touch anything from MSI, some of the people down in marketing are pretty stupid, I saw a MSI 3060ti going for $1200 from amazon and they had a few in stock.
Msi high end is great low end sucks

For your price almost impossible
I'd do 3600 x470 asus prime-a with 16gb ddr4 3200 cl 16
256gb adata m.2 ssd
2tb Seagate 7200rpm hdd(run in stormi)
Keep the psu get a corsair 275r airflow case and graphics card whatever you can get

Back
Top Bottom