Upgrade Old Computer

flipp1234567

In Runtime
Hi Friends

i was thinking about upgrading an old desktop of mine for my dad. He hasn't had a personal computer for a while and has been using his work laptop for the past couple years. He wants to use the computer for personal entertainment and work related things (CAD).

The build is from 2010 and is as follows:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto Dual-Core 3.2 GHz
Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3+ AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (The Motherboard I received was AM3. Linked is a more recent version)
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power
VGA: XFX Radeon HD 5850 DirectX 11 HD-585X-ZAFC 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5
HDD: 1TB WD Blue
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Given this build, what would you recommend I swap out or add for a value upgrade to last a few years?

Also what would you recommend be used to clean the interior. It's dusty and a friend of mine spilt his protein shake on/in it a few years ago when i lent it to him (everything still works)

Thanks
Flipp1-7

New GPU (something Nvidia and small for CAD like 1050ti), try to get your hands on a 955BE or 1090t (they're cheap now locally), more RAM, and an SSD.

Take everything apart and clean it like you normally would any other service (as in the case). If there's protein shake on the actual hardware pure alcohol might work with some Q tips.

If that Antec Earthwatts is 7 yrs old, I'd replace that too
Nothing more frustrating than to invest in an upgrade just to have an old psu crap out on you right after

Last edited:
The PSU hasn't been used much tbh. The whole computer was used for around 2-3 years before it got replaced. Would that still warrant a replacement?

Also, what is an average price to expect for a 1090T?

Do FX8350 fit in the board? I checked the box last year or so and remembered i was quite sad the Socket was only AM3 and not AM3+ because i bought it before bulldozer came out.

when i get home from work i'll double check to see if it's AM3+ or not.

Edit: I just double checked online, I could upgrade the bios so it can support AM3+?

Last edited:
You have to update the board with the latest bios before installing the new chip. 1 of 2 things will happen if it's incompatible.
1) it will boot with a weird name but still operate normally
2) the machine will just not post.

You could probably be safe and grab an FX8320.

Back
Top Bottom