Potentially the longest thread in history...

The heat from the 12900K is starting to P me right off. It's already hot here, like 90F for the past week, and whenever I play a game I get a tonne of heat from my PC being pushed out under my desk and all over my legs and I don't like it at all. I'm gonna have to do some DIY to vent the air from the top of my PC out to the side away from my legs.

Okay so I guess to clarify I don't actually care that the CPU is hot, just that the cooling arrangement dumps it all around where I see.

The heat from the 12900K is starting to P me right off. It's already hot here, like 90F for the past week, and whenever I play a game I get a tonne of heat from my PC being pushed out under my desk and all over my legs and I don't like it at all. I'm gonna have to do some DIY to vent the air from the top of my PC out to the side away from my legs.

Okay so I guess to clarify I don't actually care that the CPU is hot, just that the cooling arrangement dumps it all around where I see.
move your pc out from underneath your desk? I've always wondered how nice it could be to go totally wireless...meaning a wireless kb, audio, mouse and monitor. Just let the pc sit several feet away and no wires to it.

That's why I got a 12700k instead.

move your pc out from underneath your desk? I've always wondered how nice it could be to go totally wireless...meaning a wireless kb, audio, mouse and monitor. Just let the pc sit several feet away and no wires to it.
Nah not a fan of it anywhere else. Always had my PCs under my desk on the right hand side for 20 years. Im stuck in my ways.

That's why I got a 12700k instead.

Probably the smart decision but I just buy whatever is technically best that I can afford lol. I don’t advocate this buying behaviour to other people however… im just lazy.

Already implemented a ghetto fix.

Attachments

• CC269F03-7FFC-4A0D-84BD-95AF836C3606.jpeg
    CC269F03-7FFC-4A0D-84BD-95AF836C3606.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 5
Nah not a fan of it anywhere else. Always had my PCs under my desk on the right hand side for 20 years. Im stuck in my ways.

Probably the smart decision but I just buy whatever is technically best that I can afford lol. I don’t advocate this buying behaviour to other people however… im just lazy.

Already implemented a ghetto fix.
You know me I typically do the same thing, but I went AMD in 2018 for a reason and that was heat. My 7800x cache OC to levels of 8700k performance plus core OC made it draw around 320W (hence the old dual 360 setup and monoblock). Since I was lucky a decade ago and managed to get that 3960x I wanted to stay HEDT "just because" but when they went mesh instead of ring it reduced gaming performance. So AMD gave me more cores for cheaper, better performance, and significantly less heat output from my CPU. Thursday last week I did a mild OC of all core 5GHz P and 4Ghz E and just running a few Premiere Pro renders shot power usage over 200W hitting 85c. Decided it wasn't worth it and dropped it back.

I'm not sure why, but I've done "heat monster" SLI setups and the room heat soak to me is never as bad as with CPU heat output. Scientifically, that makes 0 sense, but with a 450W card my room doesn't get that warm unless my wife turns on her PC to game with me. That 7800x gets going and I start sweating with the AC on and ceiling fan on. Again, makes 0 literal sense but just my observation (all while she's under a blanket saying it's cold lol).

You know me I typically do the same thing, but I went AMD in 2018 for a reason and that was heat. My 7800x cache OC to levels of 8700k performance plus core OC made it draw around 320W (hence the old dual 360 setup and monoblock). Since I was lucky a decade ago and managed to get that 3960x I wanted to stay HEDT "just because" but when they went mesh instead of ring it reduced gaming performance. So AMD gave me more cores for cheaper, better performance, and significantly less heat output from my CPU. Thursday last week I did a mild OC of all core 5GHz P and 4Ghz E and just running a few Premiere Pro renders shot power usage over 200W hitting 85c. Decided it wasn't worth it and dropped it back.

I'm not sure why, but I've done "heat monster" SLI setups and the room heat soak to me is never as bad as with CPU heat output. Scientifically, that makes 0 sense, but with a 450W card my room doesn't get that warm unless my wife turns on her PC to game with me. That 7800x gets going and I start sweating with the AC on and ceiling fan on. Again, makes 0 literal sense but just my observation (all while she's under a blanket saying it's cold lol).

Not crazy at all, my 3080 in theory draws more power than my CPU but I don't notice the heat from it at all. I think it's just how and where they dump their heat. Also maybe GPU's are more efficient or some shit idk ? e.g. they use 300W but 70% is useful energy and only 30% heat, do Intel's 12900K have a higher proportion of energy turned into heat ? i've honestly no idea and probably speaking bollocks. In my defence for my entire Year 11 at College physics class, I not one day had a teacher. Thinking back i'm sure I could have sue'd them for that somehow...

TLDR, I dont frequent here often due to Discord existing.
But when did CF become Techist? What happened?
Edit: I see there is an older post about it. David sold the forum?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom