Potentially the longest thread in history...

Awesome, my man. I am still whittling away at it myself. I've slacked off a bit so I'm staying at the same weight but am getting it going again. What's messing me up is all this traveling for work. When it's just me I can go where I want and get what fits my way of eating, but when I have to take some of my techs out I don't get to choose.

Thanks!. Sure is tough losing and weight and I think people that have never had to do it kind of understimate how hard it is to spend months not eating foods you crave, eating small quantities, and having to avoid temptation day in day out. Most people complain and have a tough time when they feel a bit hungry because they missed a meal one day, let alone trying to lose weight for months / years on end.

It is definitely harder when you are with people who are not dieting. Im pretty introverted and so kind of fortunate that I have never really been that interested in constantly hanging out with friends, sure does help not being surrounded by people eating junk all the time. I don't find it too difficult to avoid buying things like donuts, but if they are presented to me or sat in the cupboard waiting to be ate it's a lot tougher.

I also don't completely deny myself foods I like. I have a single square of dark chocolate each day, and maybe once a week a slice of cheesecake or a pastry. Ideally I should cut it out altogether, but I havn't worked myself up for that challenge mentally yet.
I used to worry about my weight when I was younger. I dont worry now that I'm aging. I dont care how fat I am. I can blow up like a baloon and float away. I am a bit overweight and dont care anymore.

Ha fair enough. I didn't get that luxury. Diagnosed diabetic at 27. The choice was either sort my weight out and get my blood sugars under control or probably have multiple serious diabetes complications by the time i'm 40.

Well it's official, I am the lightest weight i've been in my entire adult life, infact since I was 16 - so twelve years. Hopped on the scale this morning at 198.6 pounds. I havn't been below 200 pounds in a very long time. I've spent most of the past 10 years at 250 to 260 pounds.
That's good shit man keep it up.
I used to worry about my weight when I was younger. I dont worry now that I'm aging. I dont care how fat I am. I can blow up like a baloon and float away. I am a bit overweight and dont care anymore.
I care, not about appearance but by health and other factors. I don't want to ruin chairs from weight or my vehicle seats, have to buy bigger clothes because I go up in sizes, become less energetic and not be able to keep up with my kids, or become diabetic among other things.
Awesome, my man. I am still whittling away at it myself. I've slacked off a bit so I'm staying at the same weight but am getting it going again. What's messing me up is all this traveling for work. When it's just me I can go where I want and get what fits my way of eating, but when I have to take some of my techs out I don't get to choose.
If you're taking them somewhere I feel it gives you more power to choose.
Thanks!. Sure is tough losing and weight and I think people that have never had to do it kind of understimate how hard it is to spend months not eating foods you crave, eating small quantities, and having to avoid temptation day in day out. Most people complain and have a tough time when they feel a bit hungry because they missed a meal one day, let alone trying to lose weight for months / years on end.

It is definitely harder when you are with people who are not dieting. Im pretty introverted and so kind of fortunate that I have never really been that interested in constantly hanging out with friends, sure does help not being surrounded by people eating junk all the time. I don't find it too difficult to avoid buying things like donuts, but if they are presented to me or sat in the cupboard waiting to be ate it's a lot tougher.

I also don't completely deny myself foods I like. I have a single square of dark chocolate each day, and maybe once a week a slice of cheesecake or a pastry. Ideally I should cut it out altogether, but I havn't worked myself up for that challenge mentally yet.

Ha fair enough. I didn't get that luxury. Diagnosed diabetic at 27. The choice was either sort my weight out and get my blood sugars under control or probably have multiple serious diabetes complications by the time i'm 40.
I don't want to be that guy but I find it pretty easy. Not to drastically lose, but to just regulate since I've been doing it since I was 12. I was a 280lb lardo in 8th grade and my band director in 9th grade helped me lose all of it. Worst part is I didn't know how big I was until he mentioned it because nobody said anything, not even my family which I thought was very sad. I guess it helped greatly to learn how to regulate my eating and portions at a very early age because even today some people I know have no idea how I can do it. Like right now, I'm back to no lunches only a snack and a single serve plate of dinner. My own diabetic scare put me back into place when I was 28 and slacking so that helps too. What doesn't help is my wife, because she makes it very hard to not just pig out all the time. I've gone up a size since being with her, 2 during covid, and it made it harder to regulate. I haven't dropped anything I like eating I just regulate portion sizes. Before her I was a size 31, now I'm 34 but I've still had the same pair of shorts for like 5 years.

My wife has finally gotten on board for the most part. She is severely diabetic, as in two oral meds and two kinds of insulin shots. We are getting her numbers under control finally.

We don't bring stuff into the house we shouldn't be eating. It's just easier that way. That being said we will buy some "sweets" that are sugar free/low carb, and I will make some from time to time. One that everyone loves (even those not dieting) is keto snickerdoodle cheesecake bars; I make it using monkfruit as the sweetener. An almond flour "graham cracker" crust works very well. Google for the recipe and you won't be disappointed.
If you're taking them somewhere I feel it gives you more power to choose.
Yes and no. Thankfully most are great hitting a decent steakhouse.

I just got in last night from a week with my boss in Florida visiting with our technicians down there. We were within minutes of both the east and gulf coasts multiple times but never had time to even take a peek. >_<

My boss called me up last night to fill me in on a few new developments. The main one involving me has to do with my company car, a 2022 Kia Soul. I was told that, while I am in Memphis next week, I will be giving my car to a tech out of Oklahoma and getting his worn out Ford Escape to drive back; my vehicle is leased through Enterprise Commercial but his is owned by our company so it is to be sold. I will drive it back and then taker it to our regional office in Greenville, SC sometime in the near future. The silver lining is that I am going to pick up my new vehicle, then, a 2022 (I think) Chevy Equinox. Right now we are waiting to see whether dude can meet me in Memphis next week or not.

I don't want to be that guy but I find it pretty easy. Not to drastically lose, but to just regulate since I've been doing it since I was 12. I was a 280lb lardo in 8th grade and my band director in 9th grade helped me lose all of it. Worst part is I didn't know how big I was until he mentioned it because nobody said anything, not even my family which I thought was very sad. I guess it helped greatly to learn how to regulate my eating and portions at a very early age because even today some people I know have no idea how I can do it. Like right now, I'm back to no lunches only a snack and a single serve plate of dinner. My own diabetic scare put me back into place when I was 28 and slacking so that helps too. What doesn't help is my wife, because she makes it very hard to not just pig out all the time. I've gone up a size since being with her, 2 during covid, and it made it harder to regulate. I haven't dropped anything I like eating I just regulate portion sizes. Before her I was a size 31, now I'm 34 but I've still had the same pair of shorts for like 5 years.

I guess it probably varies person to person. For me I just have a sugar addiction and no matter how long I diet for it *never* goes away, every single day all I really want to do is go and buy cheesecake, chocolate, donuts and candy and just sit and spend an hour eating it. And i'd do that every day if I could get away with it health wise. The sugar cravings do disappear to an extent after a week of dieting but the urge never fully goes. I've gone four months in the past with barely eating any sugary food, and I still never lost the daily desire to just binge eat a load of sugary junk.

My wife has finally gotten on board for the most part. She is severely diabetic, as in two oral meds and two kinds of insulin shots. We are getting her numbers under control finally.

We don't bring stuff into the house we shouldn't be eating. It's just easier that way. That being said we will buy some "sweets" that are sugar free/low carb, and I will make some from time to time. One that everyone loves (even those not dieting) is keto snickerdoodle cheesecake bars; I make it using monkfruit as the sweetener. An almond flour "graham cracker" crust works very well. Google for the recipe and you won't be disappointed.

Yes and no. Thankfully most are great hitting a decent steakhouse.

Sorry to hear about your wife, but it is good she is getting it under control. I'm trying to avoid getting like that, but the jury is still out whether I can keep up the healthy(er) eating long term.

I will definitely have to check that recipe out as I love cheesecake anything. I made a keto carrot cake with almond flour and ethritol sweetener and thought it was great, but it cost a god damn fortune to make. Almond flour is like 10x the cost of normal flour hear. Same for artificial sweetner vs normal sugar. I think a 300 gram packet of that ethritol sweetener was like..7 dollars ? something stupid like that. Ohwell I am saving hundreds of dollars just due to the fact I am not eating junk food every day, so I guess I can suck up the cost of the occassional keto friendly homemade cake or whatever.

I guess it probably varies person to person. For me I just have a sugar addiction and no matter how long I diet for it *never* goes away, every single day all I really want to do is go and buy cheesecake, chocolate, donuts and candy and just sit and spend an hour eating it. And i'd do that every day if I could get away with it health wise. The sugar cravings do disappear to an extent after a week of dieting but the urge never fully goes. I've gone four months in the past with barely eating any sugary food, and I still never lost the daily desire to just binge eat a load of sugary junk.

Sorry to hear about your wife, but it is good she is getting it under control. I'm trying to avoid getting like that, but the jury is still out whether I can keep up the healthy(er) eating long term.

I will definitely have to check that recipe out as I love cheesecake anything. I made a keto carrot cake with almond flour and ethritol sweetener and thought it was great, but it cost a god damn fortune to make. Almond flour is like 10x the cost of normal flour hear. Same for artificial sweetner vs normal sugar. I think a 300 gram packet of that ethritol sweetener was like..7 dollars ? something stupid like that. Ohwell I am saving hundreds of dollars just due to the fact I am not eating junk food every day, so I guess I can suck up the cost of the occassional keto friendly homemade cake or whatever.
Smarties were my crack, and soda. I started vaping in 2013 as a study and found it pretty much killed my hand to mouth disease. These days I have one piece of candy a month if that and when I do it's a sugar free Werther's chewy. I would literally buy those huge 10 pound bags of Smarties and just constantly eat them while sitting at a computer or watching media. The vaping killed it almost instantly once I got used to it. The soda thing never went away, and before 2018 the only water intake I had a day was a cup of coffee. When I was a kid I drank coffee, Koolaid, and sweet tea but all had a ton of sugar and almost never any soda so when I started making money I got a real bad soda addiction. By the time I had my massive diabetic scare by passing out and falling down a set of stairs at work I was drinking 4 20oz bottles of Dr Pepper a day easy and going home and killing half a 12 pack by myself. My wife came into the picture shortly after as a "full time thing" and hammered me about coffee intake and drinking water. Now I drink at least 2 bottles of water a day (albeit with sugar free drink mix) and only one cup of coffee. I have since moved to Zero sodas of any sort since I feel they got the mixes right finally. The bad thing is since she's so adamant about the kids having snacks for the day I munch on that junk which is causing me to gain weight again. I've also always been a one meal a day person but she insists I have lunch and sometimes forces me to eat lunch with her when she's home. This hampers my ability to regulate quite a bit.

Smarties were my crack, and soda. I started vaping in 2013 as a study and found it pretty much killed my hand to mouth disease. These days I have one piece of candy a month if that and when I do it's a sugar free Werther's chewy. I would literally buy those huge 10 pound bags of Smarties and just constantly eat them while sitting at a computer or watching media. The vaping killed it almost instantly once I got used to it. The soda thing never went away, and before 2018 the only water intake I had a day was a cup of coffee. When I was a kid I drank coffee, Koolaid, and sweet tea but all had a ton of sugar and almost never any soda so when I started making money I got a real bad soda addiction. By the time I had my massive diabetic scare by passing out and falling down a set of stairs at work I was drinking 4 20oz bottles of Dr Pepper a day easy and going home and killing half a 12 pack by myself. My wife came into the picture shortly after as a "full time thing" and hammered me about coffee intake and drinking water. Now I drink at least 2 bottles of water a day (albeit with sugar free drink mix) and only one cup of coffee. I have since moved to Zero sodas of any sort since I feel they got the mixes right finally. The bad thing is since she's so adamant about the kids having snacks for the day I munch on that junk which is causing me to gain weight again. I've also always been a one meal a day person but she insists I have lunch and sometimes forces me to eat lunch with her when she's home. This hampers my ability to regulate quite a bit.

Interesting about the soda addiction. That's one thing I never had. As a family we never bought soda for the household. I'd always order a pint of coke if I was at a bar or restaurant but never had any inclination to buy any for drinking at home. I guess we maybe bought a bottle or two for the christmas period, but other than that nope. I did drink a lot of fresh orange juice though and i've no doubt that helped make me diabetic considering it was my go to drink every day for over a decade. I found all that pretty easy to cut out though. Now I just drink black tea once or twice a day, and carbonated water the rest of the time. But yeah the food I still struggle with. Though I did just yesterday find a dessert I like, which is cream cheese mixed with heavy cream and a 1/3rd cup of sugar free sweetner, and then throw some lemon juice in and serve with berries. It is definitely not low calorie, but it is low carb (atleast relative to normal desserts) which is the important thing for me.

Interesting about the soda addiction. That's one thing I never had. As a family we never bought soda for the household. I'd always order a pint of coke if I was at a bar or restaurant but never had any inclination to buy any for drinking at home. I guess we maybe bought a bottle or two for the christmas period, but other than that nope. I did drink a lot of fresh orange juice though and i've no doubt that helped make me diabetic considering it was my go to drink every day for over a decade. I found all that pretty easy to cut out though. Now I just drink black tea once or twice a day, and carbonated water the rest of the time. But yeah the food I still struggle with. Though I did just yesterday find a dessert I like, which is cream cheese mixed with heavy cream and a 1/3rd cup of sugar free sweetner, and then throw some lemon juice in and serve with berries. It is definitely not low calorie, but it is low carb (atleast relative to normal desserts) which is the important thing for me.
I like to drink other things but it's the convenience for me and it's cheaper than beer.

I like to drink other things but it's the convenience for me and it's cheaper than beer.

If there were no health problems associated, and I was rich, i'd happily drink nothing other than cans of monster energy drink 24/7. That stuff is like drinking golden nectar from the gods. Tbh even the sugar free ones are nice, so I do occassionally treat myself.

If there were no health problems associated, and I was rich, i'd happily drink nothing other than cans of monster energy drink 24/7. That stuff is like drinking golden nectar from the gods. Tbh even the sugar free ones are nice, so I do occassionally treat myself.
I always loved those Monster drinks but when I became lactose intolerant I stopped. I once tried that "Rock Star" stuff and it tasted like someone's dirty socks! I decided to stick to coffee and beer.

Back
Top Bottom