Router for wireless connection

Songbird

Baseband Member
Hi .. hope I'm posting my question on the right board.

Lately the network card of my laptop stopped working and I couldn't connect to the internet. So the computer tech got a router, connected it to the modem and the online connection seems to be okay now. But I hear that wireless connections are vulnerable to unauthorized users. The directions on the router says to "activate WEP, WPA or WPA2 security feature" for protection. Is this third party software necessary? Kindly provide some details for my information. Thanks.

Yes, someone with the tools and the knowledge could potentially crack your wireless network and gain unauthorized access.

WEP/WPA/WPA2 are wireless security standards that should be built into the router. It's not third party software. You would typically go to your router's setup page to configure wireless security options. Not configuring any kind of wireless security while broadcasting a wifi network means that anyone who is in range can connect to your router and use your internet. I suggest enabling WPA2 and using a strong password.

Realistically speaking, the chances of some random person trying to crack your wireless network is quite low. If you have an open network (no security) then the chances of some random person connecting to your network is quite high.

Yes, someone with the tools and the knowledge could potentially crack your wireless network and gain unauthorized access.

WEP/WPA/WPA2 are wireless security standards that should be built into the router. It's not third party software. You would typically go to your router's setup page to configure wireless security options. Not configuring any kind of wireless security while broadcasting a wifi network means that anyone who is in range can connect to your router and use your internet. I suggest enabling WPA2 and using a strong password.

Realistically speaking, the chances of some random person trying to crack your wireless network is quite low. If you have an open network (no security) then the chances of some random person connecting to your network is quite high.

Also disable WPS if you have the option to.

Thanks. Actually I'm so new at this that I don't know how exactly to go about it. How to access routers setup page .... can I get step by step guidelines for security configuration? Make of my router is D-Link.

Usually its by typing into your browser: 192.168.1.1
But you should consult your router model's documentation. It will then prompt for a username/password (again, consult the documentation for the default user/pass, which you should change after logging in).

Thanks again. Btw, the technician did configure it and in the taskbar icon, with SSID it says "Security type WPA2-PSK." Does this mean it's activated?

Thanks again. Btw, the technician did configure it and in the taskbar icon, with SSID it says "Security type WPA2-PSK." Does this mean it's activated?

Yes, your wifi is already password protected.

192.168.1.1 is not responding even though I'm connected.

Start -> type cmd -> press Enter -> type "ipconfig /all" without quotes -> scroll up until you find your wireless adapter in the list, and post the IP for the Default Gateway

That's your router's IP address, which you would use to connect to it it through the web GUI.

Need a few more guidelines for help and info.

1) On the D-Link setup or wizard page, how do I change the default WPA2 passphrase which is also known as network key, I suppose?

2) Will hiding SSID make it more secure? If so, how to go about with that?

3) Would it be a good idea to enable MAC address filter?

Back
Top Bottom