Router for wireless connection

Need a few more guidelines for help and info.

1) On the D-Link setup or wizard page, how do I change the default WPA2 passphrase which is also known as network key, I suppose?
Just go to the Wifi security page and change the password there. Note that you'll have to reconnect all wifi-connected devices using the new password.

2) Will hiding SSID make it more secure? If so, how to go about with that?
Not really anymore; most computers can still see the SSID, it's just broadcast as "Hidden network" now.

3) Would it be a good idea to enable MAC address filter?

Can be; it restricts systems that connect to your network by only allowing devices' MAC addresses that you specify are allowed in the list.

Just go to the Wifi security page and change the password there. Note that you'll have to reconnect all wifi-connected devices using the new password.

The only devices connected to the router are my laptop and modem. Would appreciate if you give some more details on this ...
Thanks.

I don't know how your router setup is laid out.

You just need to find the wifi security page in the setup, change the password, click "Apply" or "OK" and then any devices you have connected wirelessly, you'll have to reconnect to your SSID with the new password.

Yeah, you should see an option for wireless configuration on your router setup page. It should be pretty self-explanatory - if you're still having trouble finding it then post the model number for your router.

For the record, SSID hiding and MAC address filtering are worthless as wireless security measures. Anyone who would be able to crack your network in the first place would already know how to see hidden SSIDs and spoof MAC addresses. Your best bet for a home network is to use WPA2 and a very strong password.

Yeah, you should see an option for wireless configuration on your router setup page. It should be pretty self-explanatory - if you're still having trouble finding it then post the model number for your router.

For the record, SSID hiding and MAC address filtering are worthless as wireless security measures. Anyone who would be able to crack your network in the first place would already know how to see hidden SSIDs and spoof MAC addresses. Your best bet for a home network is to use WPA2 and a very strong password.

And disable WPS :p.

Just a question though... why would MAC filtering specifically be useless? They'd have to gain access to your network, and then be able to either connect to the AP/read the list of clients after logging in as the admin, or know your MAC address ahead of time, wouldn't they? I know it's not super secure, but it's another layer. And I guess depending on how it works... if your MAC isn't on the whitelist, will it not allow you to connect to the AP at all, or will it just not let you connect to the internet?

Originally Posted by DistraughtSysop

Right I agree. I'll concentrate on a strong password or network key.

I'm using D-Link (dir-501). I guess that's model number.

I'm just somewhat confused about reconnecting devices with SSID in case of new network key. On the setup page there is an option which says "set the password of the device to wireless network key." So if I change the network key, do I need to select or check mark the box next to it? Is this what you meant by reconnecting devices with new password?

Furthermore, please advise regarding the following. I saw it a while ago and it's getting me puzzled too.
My current setting on security says "Security Auto WPA or WPA2 personal"
Configuration page says "Security mode: Disable wireless security (not recommended)"
This is selected.
The other option on configuration page says "Auto-WPA/WPA2 (recommended)"
This is not selected.
Is this a mistake in configuration by the technician? why is the first option selected and not the second one? Shouldn't it be the other way round?

However when I click on my SSID it says "Security Type:WPA2-PSK"

Last edited:
Posting a screenshot of your setup page (you can blur out your SSID and/or password if you want).

When I say reconnecting the devices, I mean just that: reconnecting your laptop, phone, etc. to your wireless network from the system's wireless selection. Just like how you would connect to a new wireless network - you'd just be connecting to your own network with your new password.

And disable WPS :tongue:.

Just a question though... why would MAC filtering specifically be useless? They'd have to gain access to your network, and then be able to either connect to the AP/read the list of clients after logging in as the admin, or know your MAC address ahead of time, wouldn't they? I know it's not super secure, but it's another layer. And I guess depending on how it works... if your MAC isn't on the whitelist, will it not allow you to connect to the AP at all, or will it just not let you connect to the internet?

MAC filtering can work for wired LANS, but MAC addresses for wifi adapters can be sniffed over the air without connecting to the network. It's been a while but I'll fire up the home lab when I get home just to make sure that I'm not talking out of my ass.

Ah, ok, that makes sense I suppose.

You'll have to let me know more info if you don't mind. You can PM it to me if you don't wanna post it on the open boards :p.

Posting a screenshot of your setup page (you can blur out your SSID and/or password if you want).

When I say reconnecting the devices, I mean just that: reconnecting your laptop, phone, etc. to your wireless network from the system's wireless selection. Just like how you would connect to a new wireless network - you'd just be connecting to your own network with your new password.

Yes, here's the screenshot.

Back
Top Bottom