Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

I picked up a couple of computer cases at work today. One is an older Antec, the other is either a Chieftec or Antec full tower. Both still have hardware in them, but both would be P4's. It looked like both have Antec PSUs, though.

I plan on using one for my wife's nephew's rig and the other for a home server. I may try to cobble something together using the P's if I can as free is free.

I also got a Matrox double VGA card (AGP), a PCI ethernet card, and a kickbutt mobo speaker (the kind that they used to clamp on to the base of a case). My boss said that whatever is on the recycle pallets was free game but I can only cart in so much before the missus wrings my neck.

Well, technically, it does. People have every opportunity to listen to those bands, but they choose GaGa. So objectively, GaGa is better. I'm not saying she is in my opinion though..

she's shoved down our throats pretty much.... so is bieber.

We don't pick who plays on the radio, the media corps do. Sadly, most americans are too ignorant to turn the radio off and look around for good decent music. They just want trash, and they want it now.

MFW our family has 18 football games for Xbox 360 and Xbox alone and my brother *****es about us having 5 Halo games.

We don't pick who plays on the radio, the media corps do. Sadly, most americans are too ignorant to turn the radio off and look around for good decent music. They just want trash, and they want it now.

This.... I seek my own awesome music and most people have never heard of most of the music I play. Try talking about trance music to anyone in the US it's very hard. There are more metalheads then ravers and that sucks. Many don't appreciate the complexity involved in my music. it's easier to pick up a guitar and start rockin out but trance music is far more complex and you need to learn how to use very complicated software and be able to transfer beats in your head to stuff on keyboards, turntables and software. It's more intelligent than lots of other types of music.

Most the things I had are nearly end of life. I do not mis-treat my equipment, nor am I an idiot. They just don't make **** worth it anymore. Are your 7200.11's bugged? Do they have ~30000 hours of up time on them? I have WD's that have nearly 60,000 or more hours on them, not a single issue, but this drive has half that, and has sat in a hot-swap back-plane most all its life, never being removed or subjected to shock. It has also always been actively cooled, with a thermal alarm of 40C in my personal rig.
I rarely have failures, unless the component is truly at EOL, or due to manufacturing defects, and it's the manufacturing defects that are ****ing me the ****ing hell off.

If I abused my equipment, why do I have hardware from 10 years ago that works perfectly fine, yet this newer crap keeps crapping out? The drive is with in a 5 year warranty. Did it EVER strike you as odd, why Seagate went from 5 year standard to 3 year standard the last few years, yet WD went from 3 to 5 standard recently? Seagate quality has gone to ****, and they had to reduce the standard warranty of newer drives due to it, and you can't deny that they once offered the best warranty periods, and now it has shrunk. FFS, I remember them having 6 and 10 year warranties, why would they decrease it, that was a selling point! They decreased the period because the quality has gone down.

I mean hell, did I abuse the Tracers in my rigs? **** no. The old set from 08 was a ****ed product, it was deemed by most everyone to be one of the worst products they released. A few months later they release a new version, that did NOT run NEARLY as hot as the old set. Is it my fault, that the glue holding the heat spreader on the tactile tracers is ****? I would ****ing LOVE to know how I caused the glue to just turn to crap. Sorry, but I have ALWAYS had bad experiences with the "superior" ******** that people say is amazing. Not my fault that an eVGA 6600GT failed from a damned blown cap, nor the motherboard that had a bad batch of caps installed. I also guess it's everyones fault that bought a particular ASUS motherboard 2 years ago for mounting it to their case, because ASUS had one the traces ran directly under a screw mount, and exposed.

Sorry, but 80% of the failures these days, seem to be bad quality control at the factory, not just users.

/rant
I wasn't trying to be disrespectful or belittle you in any way, I was just trying to point out something. I have had Maxtor drives in my rig until Seagate bought them out then Seagate from then on. NEVER have I once needed to RMA a Seagate drive and I have had over 12 of them. The drives in my server I make last long enough till I can double up on my movies and games drive and just upgrade periodically the other 2. My server stays on 24/7 unless I need to get my games drive out and put it in my main rig for a LAN. That particular drive is my oldest 2TB and gets PC swapped every so often with absolutely no problems. Between the 2 brands I have only had 1 Maxtor drive die on me and like I said on Facebook it was due to being exposed to extreme heat with little cooling. On the other hand, every single WD drive I have or had has failed except one 40GB drive.
What I was saying before, was you have a ton of things fail and out of all the computer parts I have had I can count on two hands the amount of pieces that have failed on me. You can ask anybody that knows me well that I have gone through a ton of parts.

are you still in the same place? or did the other place not work out?
We are still in the same apartment with the 2 roomies but due to recent problems and financial issues on our end I think we will be kicked out soon and will need to find our OWN place. I really ****ing hate people in general, more importantly stupid *****es that can't seem to get their heads out of their arses. She keeps telling me how she's cool with everything yet always spits up attitude towards the both of us. Her bf is as passive as I am but the 2 hens bickering makes the tension terrible. In short over that LAN party fight we lost our baby sitter, she lost her job, we are diving down again, things are getting shut off, and in the middle of both of us actively looking for a job the signal we were riding on got shut off, then encrypted and renamed. They got billed 81.67 for an electric overage for last month a day ago and when I came back the roomie was *****ing at me about it. I was like I wont have the money until friday at the earliest. The 2 of them are so paranoid thinking that if any bill is late more than a day they will get evicted. Apartments don't work like that unless you are late on every single payment and they are tired of you. I tried explaining that but they wont listen to me at all. So we might get kicked out simply because they are total idiots over the AC and I was folding last month. To top it off, the guy that owns our old house is threatening to toss all of our personal possessions still there. Yet, he raised our final electric bill over 250 bucks, has his head stuck between his pants, and was telling his friends that the electric/water/lawn/and his insurance isn't a top priority. What that equates to, is we can't go back there either is the idiot wont pay for his share of the electric he raised to even get it turned back on.

My ISP **** blocked my connection a few months ago for "illegal activity." I downloaded a torrent of an indie bands new album. A torrent that was on their site. They put the torrent out to gain popularity. Hell, I liked the music and paypaled them $20 for the music! Armstrong was being the biggest douche in the world about it. I actually had to go into one of their offices and talk to someone about getting the internet back. I'm pretty sure in my state, what they did was illegal. What'd you dl?

Those were nice cars :grin: As for parts, I never like to go back to the dealer to have things done, but they are a ***** to find. I have like 11,000 miles left on my warranty. Maybe I'll claim the tranny is acting uop so they'll give me a new one before it expires... Hmm... :suprised:
I was trying to download a Linux distro. The connection must have rippled in such a way to continue downloading but corrupted it. The only way I will get another connection here is if I crack a WEP signal around us. There are like 5 with good signal.

I used to swear by Maxtor, till I had a 40GB then and 80GB start doing the whole die by sector death. I just tossed them after awhile though they still worked. Though, I was very young and probably did somewhat abuse those drives.

I used to swear by Maxtor, till I had a 40GB then and 80GB start doing the whole die by sector death. I just tossed them after awhile though they still worked. Though, I was very young and probably did somewhat abuse those drives.

I have a 3GB Maxtor that still works which was my first drive upgrade in my first machine. It is very slow, very loud, and very slow lol.

That really sucks... Thing is some apartments will kick you out if you have threatened disconnects from electric companies. They are required to have electric at certain apartment types and they will get in trouble from the state. My landlord kicked another tenant out becuase of that. She openly talked about other tenants with me and me alone. She even asked me how to deal with certain types of people. This was when we lived in TN. The place had 300 some units I think. She had to evict 10 people over that.

Back
Top Bottom