Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Today I have fixed a plotter, fixed an old 1.86Ghz Pentium laptop, listened to dubstep, and put a list together of the supplies I'll need from the city to fully enjoy my evening of Skyrim that lies ahead

Got my stitches taken out, found out it will be at least another week or two before I can go back to work, and played MW3.

Let me reiterate this again, Computer Science has nothing to do with fixing computers so that comparison isn't very valid.

One thing you have to keep in mind about degrees is they aren't like certs, it's not just showing you know specific skills it's also showing you understand the concepts in your field and can therefore learn any new skills that you need to pick up on the job. With a lot of technical degrees you are expected to learn a lot of the stuff you will need after you start your job.

You guys make it sound like there is some massive conspiracy to not hire the most qualified people however that just isn't the case. Everyone I know who is involved in hiring loves nothing more than finding an exceptionally skilled candidate who can bring a lot of value to their company.
The problem still remains. Most people will over look the qualified or skilled person for someone else if the boss knows the other person and wants them in. That, or they get a little extra on their next check. This happens more than people want to admit. The only reason I worked at Waffle House is because the manager knew my family and knew I would be dependable. Unfortunately for the both of us, he didn't know the DM had a corn cob up his *** about my family. The twist in all of it is, I applied for Waffle House in 2006 and didn't get hired even though everything was the same besides my family talking to the boss on an every day basis telling him I would be good for the job. Perfect example of who you know. I'm sure there were many many more guys qualified a lot more than me (I knew jack **** about cooking) but because they put in a word I got the job anyways. My first job also came around because of this. My mom worked for the company and talked to the DM in the area I would be working in. A month later and I had the job. I do admit, back in the day if I had gone to Westwood with the rest of my class mates and got a simple network degree I would have a pretty decent job because of my best friend. On the other hand, I would have had to have another job until last month. He also got his job through a friend and I would have gotten my job through my friend. The degree would have been the only qualification and the rest would have been pie.

Thing with me is I've always been an outsider wherever I lived. I never made that many friends and the ones that I made never were supervisors or any kinda HR related people.

Also my family in the USA is just my small immediate and a spattering of very obscure (3rd or 4th cousins at best) and that's it. I can count the extended members I have left on both hands.

No "circles" to get me into workplaces. so I just fix computers for locals independently. Not making as much as I used to ;-(

I just think the system is crap and needs to be purged and a new one in place like The Venus Project that would be great to not worry about money anymore. and everyone would get kickass futuristic houses!!!!

Slept horrible last night, finally got out of bed and my rib has moved out of place. Normally it moves back into place shortly after this happens, but this time it hasn't. Holy crap am I in pain. Also later today I will be playing MW3 and picking my dad up from my brother's place.

Slept horrible last night, finally got out of bed and my rib has moved out of place. Normally it moves back into place shortly after this happens, but this time it hasn't. Holy crap am I in pain. Also later today I will be playing MW3 and picking my dad up from my brother's place.

That sucks man.

I did the opposite. Bed at about 4am, had to get up at 7:30am. It's not a lot of sleep but i'm pretty used to doing it now, it's not so bed. Atleast i thought, when did i wake up ? 5:30pm when my parents got home. Entire day of Uni missed.

**** went down..

Woke up, noticed my network meter showing 50% download available, ****ed I looked at my modem software, and my ISP has been doing some funky things, one, they upgraded my modem software like crazy, and even find my way around in the advanced controls anymore (gotta turn the proxy service off for some things i use), and they even upped my download speeds and download cap like crazy.
1606943782.png

Trust me, I love having this speed for once in my life :D

Cap went from ~500mb to 1GB daily. :D

Woke up, noticed my network meter showing 50% download available, ****ed I looked at my modem software, and my ISP has been doing some funky things, one, they upgraded my modem software like crazy, and even find my way around in the advanced controls anymore (gotta turn the proxy service off for some things i use), and they even upped my download speeds and download cap like crazy.
1606943782.png

Trust me, I love having this speed for once in my life :D

Cap went from ~500mb to 1GB daily. :D
Hughes upgrade? This is unheard of.

Believe it or not, they actually launched a new satellite network to help replace the old dieing one, and have been slowly bringing it online the last 2 months, hence the reason my modem software has been changing constantly, I am just glad this means some actual FREE upgrades for customers :D

Back
Top Bottom