Joining a computer to a Domain Controller

Yes, it's running DNS. The DNS addresses on the DC NIC are pointed to Google as primary and Comcast as secondary.

I changed it to 192.168.1.12 then flushed the dns on the DC and the computer I am trying to join and got the same message.

I then tried 127.0.0.1 flushed the dns on the DC and the computer I am trying to join and got the same message.

I made the DNS changes to the DC NIC a while back. It usually pointed to my router at 192.168.1.1 which then connects to the cable modem
Ok, personally I would leave 127.0.0.1 as the only DNS on the DC's NIC, and add the Google DNS servers to your Forwarders list in DNS:
dnsforwarder.jpg

And 192.168.1.12 is still the DNS server on the client?

Last edited:
OK, I changed the DC NIC to 127 and added Google to the Forwarders. Comcast was already there. On the interfaces tab I have all app IP addresses selected is that correct?

Still get the same message. "The network Location cannot be reached'

nslookup from the client shows the name FQDN resolves to 192.168.1.12

Last edited:
Yes, that's fine.

Does nslookup of "somename.com" on the client, still result in the public IP?

C:\Users\tim\Downloads\ConEmu>nslookup somename.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.12

Name: somename.com

I tried going through the connection wizard on the client and got a message of "An Active Directory Domain Controller (AC DC) for the domain could not be contacted"

C:\Users\tim\Downloads\ConEmu>nslookup somename.com
Server: UnKnown

Name: somename.com

I tried going through the connection wizard on the client and got a message of "An Active Directory Domain Controller (AC DC) for the domain could not be contacted"
Can you verify that you have this option, and it's checked? When you come back online.

msnetworks.jpg

Leaving work now, be back @ 530 CST

Last edited:
No it does not have that option. But I am also having other issues with the adapter now. I getting limited connection to the wireless no matter is I go DHCP or I go Static. I'm beginning to wonder it it's the network adapters in this Zenbook

No it does not have that option. But I am also having other issues with the adapter now. I getting limited connection to the wireless no matter is I go DHCP or I go Static. I'm beginning to wonder it it's the network adapters in this Zenbook
Ok, that's our problem then. That option needs to be present and checked for clients to join a domain.

Ok, that's our problem then. That option needs to be present and checked for clients to join a domain.

thanks Yevrag35 that was it. I added the client, rebooted and then was successfully able to joined the domain. I restarted and was able to successfully log back into my network profile. I recently ran the automatic updater for Asus and it updated the network adapters. It must have removed that client connection. Thank for your time on this. It's really appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom